VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi newbie question :)

so apologies if this question has already been asked and if I've posted it in the wrong forum, but Ive been unable to find a definitive answer and need your assistance

Im currently looking to buy my first T5 van and have managed to find a candidate, however the van has a rear bongo seat which is just the job but it's fitted with lap belts

I would like my daughter to sit in the back who is nearly 4. I know from searching the net that the Britax Eclipse child seat can be used to the age of 4 with a lap belt.

However, their does not seem to be anything from the age of 4 of on wards which is compatible with lap belts. Can some one please advise me if its possible to change the lap belts to a 3 point belt or if any modification kits like harnesses exsist

below is a image of the set so you can see the conundrum

Many thanks in advance

csim1966 in staffs T:

·
Registered
596 Posts
if you need to ask the question then you shouldn't do it.....lapbelts were phased out for a reason. Me personally I would not use a lapbelt on my children , have a genuine VW seat fitted.

·
Premium Member
2,585 Posts
My bongo only had one lap belt in the centre so I don't understand why this isn't the same.if it were me I wouldn't want the bongo seat at all .im sure it's perfectly fine but if I were you I'd want a genuine VW rear seat or quality r nr bed.if the van is cheap enough buy it but budget for an upgrade.how would you know this set up has been fitted safely?
Just my take on it.
Bunny

·
Registered
149 Posts
The Bongo seat is a popular option for rear seating in T4's and I have seen threads in the T5 section where owners have fitted them (might be worth doing a search). Some opt for a 3 point saftey belt that is fitted to the Bongo seat frame itself (look on Ebay and you will see many with this 3 point set up for sale) which overcomes the problem of a seat that can be slid into different locations. However, these integrated 3 point set ups are controversial as the Mazda Bongo uses a conventional pillar mounted 3 point system.

I would probably look to see if I could fit a conventional 3 point Pillar mounted safety belt system if I wanted to keep the Bongo seats.

I have Bongo seats in the rear of my T4 Caravelle (I prefer the sliding Bongo seats to the VW fixed seats) but have the factory fitted 3 point safety belts mounted on the pillars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks AngeloEvs for your for help and advise with the thread you ve linked, Your right I need to explore the possibility of fitting a conventional 3 point Pillar mounted safety belt system as I would prefer to keep the Bongo seats.

I have just come across the following thread which supports your suggestion T:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=242240

Does anybody have an idea or can recommend where I can source the 3 point seat belts?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.