VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.T:

My bonnet on my new T5, new to me, has had a spray job to sort out stone chips for a lease company, so they could sell it on.

Can you get rid of orange peel with a machine polisher and some cutting compound, or am i better getting it re-sprayed. colour is reflex silver by the by.

Regards

D Stone

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Machine polishing alone is not going to do the job, but a flat and polish should and should also be a cheaper option
Regards
Dan
Thanks for reply fella.T:

But what does flatting involve. is it something i can do my self, if i mess up, hey, i will get it sprayed. But would rather not have to, apart from that its a lovely van.A:

Regards

Dave S.*<:)>

·
Registered
280 Posts
has it been laquered over the top of the paint ? if so then flatting wont do it if its not got a laquer on it then 1500 wet and dry with a flat block softly over the orange peel will take the paint back , then machine it up with faracle g3 / g10 to a shine....

·
Registered
280 Posts
has it been laquered over the top of the paint ? if so then flatting wont do it if its not got a laquer on it then 1500 wet and dry with a flat block softly over the orange peel will take the paint back , then machine it up with faracle g3 / g10 to a shine....
unless the orange peel effect you can see is the laquer of course ... then same thing applies

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Yeah 1500 then we use 3000 on sander and polish with farecla g6 then fine cut and glaze, sounds easy but theres an art to it, probably best pop to a local body shop and ask for there opinion! If they charged the time for polishing would be cheaper in the long run than repainting
Regards
Dan

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys.T:

Thanks for all your`e replies, i have just spoken to a garage that has been recommended by a fellow T5`er, to have bumpers and mirrors colour coded, they said they would flat and polish bonnet for £20.:D

Would cost me more to do it myself me thinks.:*

Regards

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Are we talking about this sorta thing :*

This is what my bonnet bra did :(

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No mate, not that bad, to be honest, most people would think why am i bothering because bonnet looks fine, but i know it could be better, thats why i would like it done.

Thanks for pic anyways.

How has a bonnet bra done that then do you think.:*

Regards

Dave S.T:

·
Premium Member
30,977 Posts
Water sitting in the bottom where the lip is, I'll never wear a bra again I:

In fact I might burn my bra :D

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Hi Guys.T:

Thanks for all your`e replies, i have just spoken to a garage that has been recommended by a fellow T5`er, to have bumpers and mirrors colour coded, they said they would flat and polish bonnet for £20.:D

Would cost me more to do it myself me thinks.:*

Regards

That's what I thought and a good price, T:
Dan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts