VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my girlfriend are going on a road trip to the alps last 2 weeks in august. Hull-Zeebrugge ferry on the way there and Calais-Dover on the way back (not booked yet). However, my main question is, do the campsites sell out or can you just rock up? I have a panel van that will have a bed and we will take some camping gear with us. Not too bothered about electric hook up but a shower block would be nice. We're just not too sure on an exact route yet but don't want to have nowhere to go!

Its not my first time in the alps (went to Morzine downhilling) but we had a chalet then.

Any tips/recommendations on where to stay/visit/ways to get cheaper ferries etc are all welcome!

thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
214 Posts
Four of us went to the Alps for eleven nights a couple of years ago.
Couple of nights here, the odd night there.
Tour De France was on, so pretty busy, but every site we turned up at, we got on no problem.
Loads of sites, shouldn't be a problem

·
Registered
380 Posts
France is similar to Scotland in that you have the right to camp anywhere from sunset to sunrise without anyone hassling you about it as long as you're respectful of the people and place where you do it.

Sunset to sunrise at that time of the year doesn't leave you a long night with a lazy morning lie-in, but I have never been bothered by anyone for an overnight stay. I spend a few months a year in the French Alps and have been doing so since 1998, after having lived there full-time from 1990 to 1998.

Campsites at really popular places like Annecy might be a bit full at that time of the year, especially around the Fete du Lac, which is their big firework event on the lake, but there are always fantastic campsites (formal or otherwise) on the outskirts or in nearby villages.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right, nice one, thanks. I think with that advice I'll book a couple for a few nights one near Annecy and one in Switzerland and then just guess the rest! cant really go properly wild as I'm only a van with a bed but the odd night wouldnt hurt i guess. Thanks for your advice, Mark

·
Registered
214 Posts
You'll be reet. every village seems to have a municipal campsite, loads of signs around, they're well geared up for it.
I'm off to the Vosges region in July for a week.
Me, the wife and a tandem, cant wait.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try Champ du Moulin, in Venosc. Sits at the base of Les Deux Alpes. We have been for the last 4 years skiing at Easter but its meant to be great all year round. They were gearing up for the biking season as we left and it looks awesome.

I would book with that campsite as I believe it get busy, but nice shower block, sauna, on site restaurant etc.

Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.