VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I have posted about this before so please bear with me. I own a 1998 T4 that was professionally converted in 2012 to a 1.9tdi with the AHU engine. I have been having some issues with starting and also the turbo seems to be down on boost? I have a quality boost gauge fitted and whereas it used to boost up to about 17psi and then back off a little to about 15, now it struggles to pass 13 to 14 psi on full boost?

Regarding starting, it is intermittent, but on the first start of the day it feels reluctant to turn over, turns over a little slowly and then eventually fires into life. It has recently had a brand new Yuasa 800Ah battery to replace the six year old Varta Silver. On warm to hot starts it is much better.

Just as a note the glow plug light rarely comes on but I do hear the relay click a few seconds after turning the ignition key. I have noticed that the black rubber/plastic coated loom that goes to the four glowplugs is breaking up a bit on one plug on the part that connects to the plug, exposing the metal. Not sure if this could be causing an issue?

Most of the replies to my previous post suggested I invest in a lead and VCDS Lite (which I downloaded from Ross Tech) but I haven't paid the €99 to register it. I seem to have got it to recognise the lead and connected it u the port on the T4 and turned on the ignition and ran it. It wouldn't work on all functions but I have copied what info I had after the scan. Seems I have 5 fault codes. Here is the print out:-

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2

Saturday, 01 August 2020, 17:02:29.
Chassis Type: 7D - VW Transporter
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,17,18,19,22,25,35,37,56
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: 028-906-021-AHU.LBL

Controller: 028 906 021 BF

Component: 1.9l R4 EDC G00SG 0804

Coding: 00002

Shop #: WSC 01317

VCID: 54DBFF53B7E3

5 Faults Found:

01265 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve (N18) (N18 Valve faulty?)

31-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent

01266 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs (01266 = Glow plug Relay?)

31-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

17978 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs (17978 = Engine start blocked by immobilizer???)

P1570 - 35-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

00671 - Cruise Control Switch (E45) (00671 = Cruise control switch?)

25-10 - Unknown Switch Condition - Intermittent

00553 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs (00553 = MAF fault?)

31-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent

Readiness: N/A
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 25: Immobilizer Labels: 1H0-953-257.LBL

Controller: 1H0 953 257 B

Component: IMMO VWZ3Z0T0074989 V00

Coding: 09600

Shop #: WSC 00000

VCID: 2A2781ABC5E7

No fault code found.

I looked up the codes and added in red text the description). Can anyone help or advise it all looks like Dutch to me!! To to confirm the EFR valve has been disabled and blocked with a gasket and the van is running added cruise control.

Cheer Paul in deepest, darkest France!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay I think I can scrub one of the faults off the list. There is nothing wrong with the MAF I am certain! Having checked it helps if it is connected to the loom!! I had the air box out the other week to check a faulty wsher bottle underneath. Guess who forgot to reconnect the lead. What a donkey! Van goes much better now!! Still have the other issues though!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any advice guys? I have ordered a new 104 relay for the glow plugs. Checked the 109 relay and it seems to be okay there is a feed to it. It's not that van won't start it's just very slow at first start of the day. Going to check the earth strap next from battery to body. Not sure about the immobiliser fault?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Really simple thing .Are you sure the starter motor is not getting tired ? If it has been used for long with a weak battery ,it does burn out the motor through low voltage .They dont last for ever .Mine packed in at about 110,000 miles and it was a poor battery which shortened its life .

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you have a new battery fully charged it will be showing probably 12.8 volts at rest with a multimeter across it .When you crank it voltage should only drop by a volt at most .If it gets pulled down to say 10.5 ,sure sign the motor is kaput .

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have a new battery fully charged it will be showing probably 12.8 volts at rest with a multimeter across it .When you crank it voltage should only drop by a volt at most .If it gets pulled down to say 10.5 ,sure sign the motor is kaput .
Hello there. Thank you for this. I just checked and the voltage at rest is about 12.7 volts. On engine cranking it only drops to around 11.5. I did have the starter motor replaced with a good second hand one a couple of years ago. I don't think it is the starter? Maybe a bad earth from the battery? I have to do an oil change later this week so when the undrtray is off I will examine the earth cable from the battery to the bodywork. I am getting a fault code for glow plug relay (relay 104). Any thoughts? I was planning on buying a replacement relay? Not had many replies to my thread.:(

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yea,starter seems to be ok .If you are getting a fault code I guess it would be a good idea to replace the relay .Seems a logical source of your fault if the glow plugs are not coming .on

1 - 7 of 7 Posts