VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a bike rack on the back of my Caravelle. It's a VW bike rack so I wonder if it's nice and lightweight and designed to not put a lot of pressure on the boot. Anyway, the boot was saggy which I thought was probably due to a combination of the bike rack's weight and the struts just being old and knackered. So I bought some more struts from a company in Derby called SGS, which are extra tough/strong ones to cope with the weight. But I've just fitted them and my goodness they're tough. It's really hard to shut the boot. I can do it (just), my wife can't.

Has anyone experienced this? What do you think I ought to do? Will they slacken in time (although if they do it's not a very good sign of the workmanship I suppose)? Is the VW bike rack designed to be lightweight enough to not need extra strong struts?
Do you think I ought to change them for some normal ones?

Anyone who's had a similar experience?

George

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Mine are the same (tailgate with fiamma rack) When i get round to it was just going to fit standard genuine part. no real need for HD ones unless your planning on leaving bikes on there. Sounds like it would hold them up as well would it not?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts