VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I must of read just about every thread on here concerning wheels / tyres.
I've ended up confusing myself :* ( easily done when there's so many options ).

I've set my heart on Borbet A's :D

Without a doubt the best looking alloys on the market. Don't really like the 'fussy' looking types. Good solid construction well suited for large vans.

What I know so far;

They're not that expensive ! I: considering what you're getting.
Borbet ceased manufacturing 'type A' for ten years, but are back by popular demand.
Only manufacturing 16" though :(

Correct me if wrong here but, if I want 17" Borbet A's, I would have to purchase a second hand set of originals ? :*

I'm currently running 18" alloys with low profile tyres, makes for the ride quality a little harder than I would like.
So was thinking of slightly smaller rims with larger tyres. I don't want to go down to 16" as I don't think there will be a great deal of space the the big brake upgrade planned for the future.

Anyone considering selling theirs ........... spare a thought for me ! I:

It's not nice to beg .......... but if I have to, I will :D

TURK

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Cheers higgy,

Probably a little too wide for my liking, those stretched tyres on there ?

I was trying to find widths available, for PCD 5 x 112 but got nowhere with that :*

I may consider those, if all else fails.

TURk
i can get the wider deep dish rear sets

i can also get sets in 7.5j x 17 et 30 all round..

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Si

supplied higgy's...can also get you a set if you where interested..
Yeah, saw that thread.

Sorry, tried to get back to you sooner but, just spent the last hour trying to find a thread by paulm, about some Borbet A's 17" with black centers. Wanted to show you them, as it's what I'm after.

I' like the staggered look. but 10" deep dish rears, my be OTT.

The previous owner lowered the van, and put new springs on. I have no idea how much it's lowered by. I remember reading a thread on here a while back, that described how to find out how much your van had been lowered by.

Would I be correct in saying that you measure from the underside of the wheel arch ( in the center ) to the center of your wheel :*

I'm currently running 18" alloys all round.
Front tyres: 235/45
Rear tyres: 235/40

So the general idea is to have bigger tyre wall, on smaller rims. As your experience in such matters is second to none, I value your opinions.

Cheers

TURK

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Dream wheels for me too. To the stage that I'm thinking about swapping my sliding door rail for a black one... And thinking I should put a wedge in at the same time... Cos I will get some one day LOL:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Remotec's were the originals if I remember rightly. come on Si, put me in my box. Haha.
I've got the updated calipers on my van (ex AA) and these fit perfectly fine. I'm guessing you're wanting to put some mega big anchors on it then?
Ride quality on the 16's is perfect as well.

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Remotec's were the originals if I remember rightly. come on Si, put me in my box. Haha.
I've got the updated calipers on my van (ex AA) and these fit perfectly fine. I'm guessing you're wanting to put some mega big anchors on it then?
Ride quality on the 16's is perfect as well.
lol...yes mate you are right...borbet bought out remotec and bought there wheel designs...

even harder to find the remo's...

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Cheers paul, that's the one ..... the first link T:

But, damn ! ........ double damn !! I seem to remember they were 17's :* oh well.

This is pure wheel P0rn :D I just got to get me some of those :D I think they would look superb on 'Lulu'.

Interesting point on the the Remotec' though. Don't know whether that opens up my options, or complicates things further.
Should I be looking for Remotec also ? or are they really that rare, and just give up now :*

I'll have to double check if an 8 pot caliper upgrade is doable for the future, if it's silly money, I'll opt for something smaller. I definitely need a brake upgrade of some sort. Seems only logical that after an engine remap, that achieves an extra 30 to 40 bhp that you'll also need greater stopping power.

I know it's an old thread ....... but, you still got hose 16's in your attic paul ?

TURK

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I found a set of 17 x 7.5 Borbet A's on eBay with no kerbing a couple of months back that the guy would take £400 for. I left them because the design of the 17's gives a lot less dish than the 16's. Set a saved search up on EBay and check it regularly, and google 'borbet wheels for sale' a lot too. They also come up on the Volkszone/VZI forum because the 17'' A's are popular on T25's.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
The AA vans had upgraded brakes that sit fine with 15" steels - and they're designed to cope with stopping a loaded van towing another vehicle. If you're not going for 200-250bhp, would that not cope?

Not that I'm trying to discourage the Borbet A action LOL:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
The AA vans had upgraded brakes that sit fine with 15" steels - and they're designed to cope with stopping a loaded van towing another vehicle. If you're not going for 200-250bhp, would that not cope?

Not that I'm trying to discourage the Borbet A action LOL:
Yes this is totally true. I've got this on my van and I've got no issues with braking at all. Granted, I'm only sitting at 135bhp at the moment but like emmett said, these will cope for a fair few bhp yet.

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I left them because the design of the 17's gives a lot less dish than the 16's
That's interesting rick, is that the case ........ 16's had more options. Such as deeper dish and/or more ET's ?

Maybe that's the reason I'm only seeing 17's as very shallow rims. Mostly Beamer PCD.

There is another reason why 16's are not on my 'wish list'. And that I would prefer 17's. You look at any T4 with 17's or 18's and they look good. Wheels filling the arches.

When you look at a T4 on 16's unless you have the correct rubber, you're not going to fill the arches, and the van will look ridiculous. Sure you can mess with the suspension, and bring things right down. Make the wheels fit the arches.
Thats fine if you want to cruise the high street round your neigbourhood.

But I want this setup for cruising around France > Italy > Spain > Portugal, basically the entire south.
Who knows what I will encounter :*

So I still need a decent ground clearance.

I'm stumped ........ :*

Is there a list available somewhere that shows sizes Borbet A were available in ?

TURK

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
16'' Borbets seam to come as:

16 x 9 ET15
or
16x7.5 ET30 (Ish can't remeber exactly)

As staggered sets or 4x the same size. I've never seen anything apart from that size, Maybe Colese can elaborate.

17'' Borbets have a few more choices:

17 x 10 ET10
17 x 8.5 ET13
or
17 x 7.5 ET30

but are pretty much always 5x120 BMW fitment (a few are Merc fitments but they are rarer)

I have 2x sets of 17's lieing around, shame they won't fit T4's! :ILU:

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 37 Posts