VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've spent all night searching google and just about every German, Lithuanian and Romanian website with absolutely no joy.:(

I've emailed Borbet but don't expect a response so after searching the forum for over an hour hopefully someone can help me.

I've just bought the Westfalia Eurovan and it has Borbet Type C 15 x 7J wheels. They are date coded 1995 so I assume they have been on the 95 van either from new or shortly after.
I am about to replace a couple of old tyres and thought I'd put a full set on (the spare has never been dropped and is rock hard so a set is actually 5).
I've previously looked at getting a set of the OEM square holed 15x 6J steels but apart from being £70 each, VW have none so before I put tyres on the Borbets I want to make sure they are strong enough. The are spec'ed on the plate at 99 load rating which is 775kg so does anyone know what the wheels are? There are no markings other than the model C 70530 and a further KBA 45060.

Any help greatly appreciated.........M

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
With your concerns , visit a few reputable tyre places in your area , and ask the questions . they should be able to have details of ...correctness ..

·
Registered
945 Posts
I found this on a German site. ''Aluminum Borbet KBA45060 7J15H2. The load capacity is 620 kg and therefore not sufficient for the T4. :''
I think these are car alloys basically so if you want the right rating and are bothered by this I would change for something stronger. I had a similar problem, my van came with kba44977 alloys I knew nothing about. For mine I managed to find a data sheet online to find load rating. I couldnt find one for your wheels, but found the info above whilst searching. I took my alloys off and got some used t4 steels instead. Now I know they're up to the job (child on board and all that). I thought what's the point in getting tyres with the right load rating if wheels could give way first! Even if you don't give two hoots for your own safety at the end of the day if you cause an accident because of a broken wheel it's you the owner/driver to blame for having wheels that aren't correct for the vehicle. Extreme example but I didn't want that hanging over me! Besides, the alloys looked naff! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found this on a German site. ''Aluminum Borbet KBA45060 7J15H2. The load capacity is 620 kg and therefore not sufficient for the T4. :''
I think these are car alloys basically (Golf) so if you want the right rating and are bothered by this I would change for something stronger. I did the same mine had kba44977 alloys and I took em off and got used steels instead now I know they're up to the job (child on board and all that). I thought what's the point in getting tyres with the right load rating if wheels could give way first!
Thank you for this.....your Google must be strong T: .......I spent hours last night and couldn't find a rating. Thank god for forums.

My thoughts entirely about right tyres on wrong wheels. I will now try to source some alternatives.

Anyone got any good recommendations for 16" steels?......

M

·
Registered
945 Posts
No problem, it's a shame if you liked the Borbets but better safe than sorry. 15 is the standard size for t4 steels but if you prefer 16s then have a look on the 'show us your steel wheels' thread at the top of this section. You can run Merc Vito 16s but I think adaptors may be needed. Ask anyone who's got the wheels you'd like I'm sure they'll be happy to advise. I just tidied up some standard 15s, sprayed them black and put silver beauty rings on from Just Kampers...steels are the new 'cool' :cool:

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Check sticker on van , to make sure .. Are they 15 , or 16 ?? 15,s come up quite regularly on the various group sites ... dont know if you,ll need square , or round hole , though ..!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problem, it's a shame if you liked the Borbets but better safe than sorry. 15 is the standard size for t4 steels but if you prefer 16s then have a look on the 'show us your steel wheels' thread at the top of this section. You can run Merc Vito 16s but I think adaptors may be needed. Ask anyone who's got the wheels you'd like I'm sure they'll be happy to advise. I just tidied up some standard 15s, sprayed them black and put silver beauty rings on from Just Kampers...steels are the new 'cool' :cool:
Yes I'd really like to stick with the steel square holes. The unused spare was one so I have the correct part number with what it left the factory with 701.601.027B although the parts catalogues do not list a load rating for that either unless the spare was different.
My concern is that by the time I've bought some wheels and had them refurb'ed I'm a few hundred quid down.

Check sticker on van , to make sure .. Are they 15 , or 16 ?? 15,s come up quite regularly on the various group sites ... dont know if you,ll need square , or round hole , though ..!
The van sticker is 15 * 7J, 15*6J with a 205/65 R15 99S Reinforced tyre. 99 is 775kg so I'm working on a wheel rating of at least that, preferably a bit to spare.........Square hole if anyone reading has any they want to let go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've managed to source a set of five 15" original steel wheels today. Had the tyres taken off and need to decide if to get powder coater or clean up and rattle can myself.
Powder seems expensive at 40 to 50 per wheel at my local place. Is that reasonable? If so I will not be taking them up on it.

M

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Powder coating , about £30-35 a wheel . For standard colours . Had mine chrome powder coated , 18 months ago , at £50 a wheel ..!! Either way , get them shot/sandblasted , if you DIY , soo much faster , and a good paint surface , once cleaned again ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts