VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Been and got myself another T4 after many years of withdrawal! It's a non runner though but I'm capable ish. It's a 1X with about 120k on.

Diagnosed as no fuel to injectors. Guessing pump. But anything else I should prepare for? Obviously I'll be turning it over to see if crank sounds right in case of cambelt - It's relatively low mileage - but sat there having broke down. I'm about 170 miles away from it so want to go prepared to drive it away - even if it takes me a while to do. I'm also prepared to fail but would rather not 馃槅 Got a recovery truck on standby and enough to pay for my failure.

Done fuel pumps and cambelts in petrol cars, like a challenge, pointers anyone? It's not out of fuel. But isn't getting fuel either by the sound of it.

Advice needed :)

Thanks!

Registered
Hei and congrats!
There can be air leakage in fuel system, so check all fuel lines and T piece that goes into fuel filter, they often get air leakage around them because of cracked o-ring. Take off the incoming fuel line from filter side and try a handheld rubber vacuum pump (like some Peugeot's have) in between, or just a dunk to pump up some fuel. That helped in some of my cases!!

Best of luck! ;)

Mario

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Hei and congrats!
There can be air leakage in fuel system, so check all fuel lines and T piece that goes into fuel filter, they often get air leakage around them because of cracked o-ring. Take off the incoming fuel line from filter side and try a handheld rubber vacuum pump (like some Peugeot's have) in between, or just a dunk to pump up some fuel. That helped in some of my cases!!

Best of luck! ;)

Mario
Thanks Mario! My last one I sold I regretted, it had over 258k, but no rust, no leaks, anything, she was beautiful! This has under 120k on, clean arches, clean MoT history - so here's hoping for a swift fix :) I have 2 days to try myself miels from home, before I winch her onto a truck, so will collect ideas and go well prepared :) Best thing is the taxman is paying :D

When you say 'dunk' - what do you mean? I guess a bladder style rubber squeezy pump (1) or inline siphon/hand pump (2) to put inline, to draw fuel up the lines and bleed it/check ignition? Much appreciated sir.

Registered
start with the simple stuff.

Is the filter choked? I put a priming bulb on my TD then ended up getting the pump rebuilt - not. massive expense really.

Registered
Hei!!
The timing does not afflict on fuel getting to injectors, it's the lack of diesel itself.
I assume maybe after fuel filter change, pump got some air bubbles and after few days of parking it just couldn't create enough vacuum to suck up diesel from tank. So no fuel in means no fuel out. Maybe the fuel filter haven't been changed and it's choked. It does not cost much so change that to.
By dunk i mean simple jerrycan, put both lines in jerrycan (with some diesel in it off course).
Yes i mean rubber squeezy pump!
Hers a quick vid to get my point:

You don't have to have this kinda fancy-shmancy set to get the job done. Just set this pump in between the tank and fuel filter or pump and fuel filter. Like i said some Peugeot's have it from factory.

Cheers

Registered
start with the simple stuff.

Is the filter choked? I put a priming bulb on my TD then ended up getting the pump rebuilt - not. massive expense really.
I am not a diesel pump guru but iv'e rebuilt quiet a few diesel pumps and did some frankensteins that are running with no problems, lack of diesel it self does lot of damage. Don't recall that VE pumps have some thing that can brake easy just because of bleeding the system. Iv'e done it a few times without any bad consequences. But everybody has their own experience.

Cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Nice one guys, worth a shot!
I put a priming bulb on my TD then ended up getting the pump rebuilt - not. massive expense really.
Cheers Paramedic, what you put it on to keep it running, or to diagnose? Wondering about squeezing my way home LOL

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Hei!!

Hers a quick vid to get my point:

Cheers
Great vid mate, thanks. Looks like it's broke down and has fuel, going to speak to the mobile repair guy who diagnosed it and see what he's saying I think :) You legends. Will keep you in the loop!

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
OK - so spoke to the mobile mechanic who says it runs on brake cleaner, he doesn't seem to think it has air in lines and the cambelt has been checked and OK - so could well be the pump.

How easy are they to replace on 1X, any pointers? I see one, was going to buy a pump and travel down with a toolkit. Am I dreaming to fit it at the roadside over a day or two? I've only ever done rad, exhaust and gear linkage on those.

Many thanks!

Premium Member
Had a similar issue with a smiley transit a few years back.

Van wouldnt start without persuasion with Easystart/Brake cleaner/deodorant or any other paraffin based piston ring destroyer.

The reason was very simple. The solder on the back of the ignition barrel had deteriorated and so the vehicle couldnt get enough volts to the fuel stop solenoid on the injector pump. As soon as it fired on the easystart power came from the alternator which i guess was greater ampage than the power from the battery and so the stop solenoid would then remain open... Simple.

So.. check for a "click" sound from the injector pump when you turn the key to the second postion on the ignition barrel. No click equals no fuel.....could be a few reasons for that but try putting 12v to the solenoid and see if you get your click.

Of course if the van will run when persuaded to start on something else, id risk driving it home like that and sort it out in the luxury of my own workshop..... Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
So.. check for a "click" sound from the injector pump when you turn the key to the second postion on the ignition barrel. No click equals no fuel.....could be a few reasons for that but try putting 12v to the solenoid and see if you get your click.

Of course if the van will run when persuaded to start on something else, id risk driving it home like that and sort it out in the luxury of my own workshop..... Good luck.
Good man, I reckon I'm off down there next weekend to give it a go :) Might even bring a battery powered soldering iron!

Registered
Sometimes its a bad connection or low voltage like avcentraltias mentioned. I'd checked the cut off/solenoid valve first, voltage to, if that's ok, then try the rubber vacuum pump. If that does not help than replace the injection pump. With such low millage it's strange that pump brakes but everything can happen. Maybe it was filed with gasoline or driven on bio diesel or such.. there are lot of guesses.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Nice one. I tried to call bluff of mechanic and he's said he can't rule out a possible immobiliser to pump issue, rather than going all in on a pump rebuild. Seems like a sound guy but who knows! I'm pretty sure a 95 doesn't have an immobiliser as it's too early - so I'm inclined to think it's pointing to that cutoff solenoid...oi oi! I ran my last one on veg oil for years and had zero issues even on 100% if warm enough. If I get stuck, anyone with truck/towing gear want a few quid to get it home? Would rather give back to community. It's gonna be 1 Feb, Alton to Saltash, so there's a good wedge in it.

Registered
1Z is a simple idi engine, compression & fuel timed correctly = running...

ignition switches & fuel stop-solenoids are common issues, solenoids fail but also suffer from no power (+12v)...

for non 'Scene-tax' (so cheap) soleoids, I use these...

the 'thermo-valve' on the fuel filter / return line can play nasty by allowing air-leaks (dead 'o' ring or cracked plastic) and obvoiusly the engine could be down on compression - hence running on easy-start but not on diesel:unsure:

unfortunately my Crystal-ball is dirty today so I cannot use the power of the internet to accurately diagnose the problem:ROFLMAO:

good luck(y)

Rich.

Registered
Nice one. I tried to call bluff of mechanic and he's said he can't rule out a possible immobiliser to pump issue, rather than going all in on a pump rebuild. Seems like a sound guy but who knows! I'm pretty sure a 95 doesn't have an immobiliser as it's too early - so I'm inclined to think it's pointing to that cutoff solenoid..
pre '96 shouldn't have a factory-fitted immob but who knows whats been added as improvements??

Rich.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
pre '96 shouldn't have a factory-fitted immob but who knows whats been added as improvements??

Rich.
This Is my exact train of thought right now. I am half handy (websites, computers pro audio and fixing anything) and pretty sure immob is not a thing! so will rise to the challenge. it's had some nice work done like swivel seats TVs etc. But looks like the guy can't cannot afford to fix it. I think I'm going to take a battery and soldering iron ;-) 170 mile trip, worth a punt!

BTW someone mentioned ed a 1J engine before - is it not 1X like my old 91 velle ?

Where is is pump on these , below block?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts