VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been out to change the rear pads on my 1.9td, as i noticed that the rear drivers disk has not been working properly as i could see rust marks that were staying when all other disks were being rubbed clean with use.

i managed to get the old pads out and just about got the new ones in place (no wind-back tool, but an angle grinder disk changing tool worked pretty well). Following the changing pads on a 2.5 tdi sticky thread, i took the main caliper off, leaving part of the calliper housing still attached to the wheel/disk bit, by removing the 13mm bolts, not the 18mm ones.

I noticed that the 13mm bolts are on some kind of 15mm moving bolt(?) that i guess moves when the brake is applied squeezing the pads onto the disk. The top 15mm bolt is free to rotate and move in and out, however, the bottom 15mm bolt was seized tight and also not quite sitting square to the calliper. I think this was why the brake was not working properly. When fitting the pads back in, the top 13mm bolt went back in ok, but the bottom 13mm bolt didn't line up to the 15mm bolt/hole.

I tried to move the 15mm bolt but i've ended up shearing it off and now i'm unsure what my options are as to getting working brakes again.

I've shamelessly stolen one of the pics from the changing pads thread and marked with the red arrow the part that has sheared.

Can this sheared part be removed and replaced? there's not much extending out to grip. Do i need a whole new caliper, or can i get just the part that bolts to the disk bit? i had a quick look on vagcat but couldn't find any part numbers for rear disk brakes, one of the front ones looks similar, but i'm sure they will be different. I don't know how different the various brakes are, but i know the local motor factors brought out several pads to check i had the right ones - they have a wear sensor too if that adds to the confusion.

it's not a massively urgent job as i don't use the van every day, but it would be good to at least get the new parts sorted sooner rather than later.

any help would be great, cheers.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi,

just done all the rear brakes on my 1.9td. Looks like you've sheared the slider bolt. No worries, go to your VW dealer and order a replacement. You will notice the caliper carrier is secured by two larger bolts - these are well known to seize so you might as well order new ones of those as well - I have the part number for the big bolts should you need it. Remove the two big bolts and everything should come apart allowing you to replace the slider bolts. If you are not sure then PM me and I'll be happy to talk you through it

cheers

:ILU:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers for that, i googled slider bolts and it looks like what i'm after. will ring vw tomorrow to see what they can offer me.

·
Registered
381 Posts
another option would be to replace the calipers all together - something I'm considering at the moment and actually not as expensive as I thought - found these on ebay - only £80 each.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330706329610?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I'm thinking that my dub has done 105,000 miles, the calipers look scabby and when it comes to brakes I always say 'if in doubt - chuck it out'. With new calipers in my hands I can paint them up blue to match the van and possibly buy an overhaul kit for the old calipers, get them stripped, sand blasted, fresh coat of paint and bang them out on ebay to recover some of the costs? just a thought.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah, that looks like the bolt that goes into the end of the guide pin (slider) - try VW or TPS. If you've knackered the head of the guide pin you might have to buy that part of the caliper as I was told that the guide pins on the rears don't come separately (Bizarely the front guide pins do, but they're about £12.00 each!!) if it's just the head of the little bolt then you should be able to remove it once you get the big bolts out and the caliper is apart.

Just done all the brakes on our 2.5Tdi complete, front and back - got all new bolts, pads, discs, dust shields etc - if you buy genuine pads they come with the little bolts that go into the ends of the sliders / guide pins so you don't have to re-use the knackered ones - On ours I also bought a guide pin refurb kit that comes with 2 replacement rubbers, the end bolts (again) and a sachet of grease (but NOT the guide pins) - the pins are easily removed and worth cleaning up to make sure they slide in and out freely.

Best thing to get the 2 large bolts out is to put an extension bar (or piece of metal tube) on a spanner/wrench - ours wouldn't budge without and it's amazing what the extra leverage will achieve! Replacement bolts were a couple of quid each from TPS.

I agree with vanofdoom - if in doubt, chuck it out, which is why we replaced all the bolts etc wholesale when doing the brakes on ours.

As a thought - you say your back brake wasn't working properly which suggests that the pads aren't being pressed against the disc when you put your foot on the brake so simply replacing the pads may not solve your issue - could be a number of reasons, but you might want to check the piston isn't sticking inside the caliper - if the seal on the end has split and muck has got in behind then it might not be operating correctly - might be worth a look while you have it all apart, especially if all the other bolts are as helpfully seized as you say, and there's nothing worse than doing a job twice!

Also, don't forget that if you replace the brakes on one side, you gotta do the other, but I'm sure you know that already.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts