VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone please tell me whats inside the main compensator block part? its the bit with 4 pipes coming out

done loads of searching but cant find owt:(

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply

i just needed to know if it can alter the balance between either side of the brakes or one side could great more
pressure then the other if something inside it had failed?

long story but changed wheel cylinders, shoes, flexies and checked master cylinder then pressure bleed the
system quite a few times now :* adjusted both sides making sure they just rub a little @ everythings nice &
free but one side is fine & the other is very weak so the wheel can still be turned with foot hard down on pedel
so just wondererd whats inside that little block

·
Registered
290 Posts
Disc or drums ?

Re-read, drums then. adjust the shoes so they are only just free of the drums. Have you checked the cables, I had one fail on me but the cable still seemed to be intact. Replaced both cables and now have a handbrake again!!

·
Full of Cr*p....
8,351 Posts
Thanks for reply

i just needed to know if it can alter the balance between either side of the brakes or one side could great more
pressure then the other if something inside it had failed?

long story but changed wheel cylinders, shoes, flexies and checked master cylinder then pressure bleed the
system quite a few times now :* adjusted both sides making sure they just rub a little @ everythings nice &
free but one side is fine & the other is very weak so the wheel can still be turned with foot hard down on pedel
so just wondererd whats inside that little block
How can you turn the wheel?
The balancing block determines (via the correct springs and adjustment) the rear pressure for the ride height.

Jack the van up and it shouldn't give any pressure to the rear (unless you jack it from the training arm).
Even then, you'll get a false result as it will think the van is then heavily loaded at the rear.

There are 2 springs, one for each side.....so if one is adjusted wrong, and you try to test by jacking each side of the van at a time, it could be one is set correct and one wrong...or both wrong.
Lowering the van requires different springs and adjustment.

Only way I can think you could check it (other than a rolling road) would be to measure the "standing" height (wheel centre to arch at each side), then jack the van via the body, both sides, and then jack each wheel to get the same height as when on the ground....4 jacks needed.

Then you could check to see if both brakes were working as they should.

Here in Norway, it's a legal thing for the EU Kontrol (MOT) and has to have a dealer computer printout to say it's been correctly set after lowering....cost me 250 quid!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if any1 wants 2 know it was the brake compensator at fault! 4 weeks of messing around changing everything after peeps saying it aint that Rasp: wish id bought a ford

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi

I think my brake compensator is seized up, is there a trick to working them free with WD40. I have been told the centre pins get stuck and need workking free.

Any pointers would be most appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
634 Posts
hello mate right heres a tip i use on my nissan cabstar plenty of wd40 leave it an hour then tap it with a hammer i know it sounds crazy but a fantasti mechanic called geoff at gordons tyres in leeds does it evrytime my nissn pickup goes in for a mot it does work and dont worry about giving it a good clout they are realy robust hope this helps or google gordons tyres leeds on stanningley road ask for goeff hes realy helpful just tell him carl the builder give his name hes a top lad!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts