VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the brake pedal return spring on my 1999 2.5TDI T4 van.
I removed the clutch pedal completely after sliding the pedal pivot rod as far out to the right as possible, i am unable to remove the brake pedal and spring, as the pivot rod cannot be moved far enough across to allow removal without hitting the throttle potentiometer.
So my question is, can the potentiometer be removed from the throttle pedal assy without messing up the throttle settings, as i can just see that it is a fine splined shaft on the potentiometer.
Even better if someone has replaced the brake pedal return spring before, and could perhaps give me some sound advice.
Regards
Gary

·
Pedal box guru
2,616 Posts
I need to replace the brake pedal return spring on my 1999 2.5TDI T4 van.
I removed the clutch pedal completely after sliding the pedal pivot rod as far out to the right as possible, i am unable to remove the brake pedal and spring, as the pivot rod cannot be moved far enough across to allow removal without hitting the throttle potentiometer.
So my question is, can the potentiometer be removed from the throttle pedal assy without messing up the throttle settings, as i can just see that it is a fine splined shaft on the potentiometer.
Even better if someone has replaced the brake pedal return spring before, and could perhaps give me some sound advice.
Regards
Gary
Hi Gary.

You can remove the potentiometer, but not by removing the pulley from the main body!! Instead remove the complete potentiometer which is held to the bracket by two M6 bolts going vertically down into the bracket.
The only other alternative is to remove the pedal box and the shaft is very easy to remove at that point.

Hope that helps, if not give me a ring, my number is in my signature.

Cheers Trev.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts