VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Advice please???
2000 t4 1.9 td ABL (103K)
got oil leak from top and possibly bottom of vacuum pump.

firstly, my pump doesn't look like other 1.9 pumps (google 1.9 td brake vacuum pump)
mine is mounted to the crankcase unlike all the others I've seen (with angled mount) that seem to fit to Head? 2.5s?)

I suspect there are failed seals or O-rings somewhere?
anyway I have unbolted it (fork type clamp with single bolt removed)
https://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/

I have tried to gently lift it out but can feel it is engaged with something and worried to pull harder in case it wont re-engage.
cant find much info on this, and feeling a bit nervous about just going for it.
has anyone removed one of these? can anyone advise please!
thanks

Registered
Advice please???
2000 t4 1.9 td ABL (103K)
got oil leak from top and possibly bottom of vacuum pump.

firstly, my pump doesn't look like other 1.9 pumps (google 1.9 td brake vacuum pump)
mine is mounted to the crankcase unlike all the others I've seen (with angled mount) that seem to fit to Head? 2.5s?)

I suspect there are failed seals or O-rings somewhere?
anyway I have unbolted it (fork type clamp with single bolt removed)
View attachment 179937 VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum

I have tried to gently lift it out but can feel it is engaged with something and worried to pull harder in case it wont re-engage.
cant find much info on this, and feeling a bit nervous about just going for it.
has anyone removed one of these? can anyone advise please!
thanks
1.9 is diferent to 2.4 & 2.5's so yors is 'normal' :p

once the clamp is loosened / undone the pump will lift out but can be rusted in place, it's driven by a skew gear BUT also it drives the engine oil pump so be carefull to align the slot-drive when re-assembling(y)

plenty of ifo online, search mk2/3 golf, B3&4 Passat, jetta, t3/25 etc. diesel / td / tdi...
its uncommon for the vacuum pumps to fail but not unheard of, obviously 'O' rings are replaceable.

something to check is the plastic breather pipe (from near the pump / oilfilter mount) to the cam cover as these leak for fun....

Rich.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
1.9 is diferent to 2.4 & 2.5's so yors is 'normal' :p

once the clamp is loosened / undone the pump will lift out but can be rusted in place, it's driven by a skew gear BUT also it drives the engine oil pump so be carefull to align the slot-drive when re-assembling(y)

plenty of ifo online, search mk2/3 golf, B3&4 Passat, jetta, t3/25 etc. diesel / td / tdi...
its uncommon for the vacuum pumps to fail but not unheard of, obviously 'O' rings are replaceable.

something to check is the plastic breather pipe (from near the pump / oilfilter mount) to the cam cover as these leak for fun....

Rich.
Rich, thank you... this is just the info I need! I can give it a bit of wiggle to lift out with confidence. Thanks for tip refitting and other poss leaks. Cheers Lloyd

1 - 3 of 3 Posts