VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - when I got my T4 i knew the brakes needed looking at pronto as the "Brake wear indicator light" on the dash was lit and a minute or so after starting there was a loud beep too.

I took the van in for a service and to get the brakes checked. Mechanic told me all pads are fine and that the reason the light is on is becaus the pads are not VAG and dont have the wire attachement that tells the alarm system everything is kosha!

So anyone know if its possible to trick this in any way? Either electrically, or by attaching cables to the senor so it thinks pads are OK?

Anyone done this? I know its there for my own good, but I have my cars serviced regularly so I dont need this :* beeping!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just did this yesterday. My transporter in non ABS and has wear indicators on the front left and right rear brakes. Just cut the wires and splice them togerther. It's really simple and takes longer to get the tire off than to do the job.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi - I've just done my brake pads this morning, and there are two type of pads (1999 T4 1.9TD) apparently.

Ones with a wire attached and one without.

Obviously, the ones with the wire attached are more costly, so it sounds to me like someone has fitted the cheaper pads for vehicles without the sensor fitted to save a few pounds.

Rather than cutting wires you could speak to your local motor factors about the correct pads and fit them perhaps ??

Might be worth investigating.

Frank

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
i would sugguest buy the right pads or the pad warning i believe can be "coded" out but that would be pointless because the idea of the wear indicator is to advise you your pads are wearing out, i know a few t5 owners with new t5s that would like pad wear indication.....

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I've got the right pads with the sensor but no pad left (and now a knackered disc!) as something's clearly not working right :(

When I replace them how do I test that the warning light works? Is it a case of leave disconnected and it should trigger or do you have to short the terminals in the socket to make it alarm?

I'm guessing mine might have been turned off :(

Cheers :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts