VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

as I get closer to work in the morning my brakes stick on more and more. Park up for the day. Start up to go home, alls fine, the closer I get to home the more my brakes stick on again. Park up, go out hour later the further I go the more my brakes stick on. The wheels don't get so hot that I can't touch them but all four are of about the same temp after a journey but hotter than they should be. I've just spent a shed load out on her and I have my daughters wedding next month so not a lot of money left. What route should I take to find out where the problem lies :* ,

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi,

as I get closer to work in the morning my brakes stick on more and more. Park up for the day. Start up to go home, alls fine, the closer I get to home the more my brakes stick on again. Park up, go out hour later the further I go the more my brakes stick on. The wheels don't get so hot that I can't touch them but all four are of about the same temp after a journey but hotter than they should be. I've just spent a shed load out on her and I have my daughters wedding next month so not a lot of money left. What route should I take to find out where the problem lies :* ,

Thanks for any help
Mine is only the rear and turned out to be break calipers not releasing properly, I replaced mine but some take them off and clean/lub them up and were ok. Yours being all four cant really see what that is tbh

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for any help
Change your brake fluid and bleed and see if it helps.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SO far we've:

bled the brakes, no change.

Fitted a new master cylinder, no change.

Swapped the vacuum pipe with a known good one, no change.

The servo doesn't hold air pressure as compared to a known good one that does, does this mean a new servo is needed?

Daughters getting married in 3 weeks and I can't afford to just go get one to see if that works,

Any assistance much appreciated xx

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Take the calipers apart and polish with something like Solvol Autosol.

Wipe clean and reassemble with copper grease.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
You say its getting hot on all four wheels so it would appear to be a fault with the common parts that service all four wheels. If you have ABS its from that unit back to the brake pedal, otherwise its the servo/master cylinder assembly back to the brake pedal.

First thing for me is to see if the brake pedal is returning to rest at the top of its travel or is it a bit low down, and gently activating the braking system. I believe that both the clutch and brake pedals have springs to make sure they fully return. If its low try keeping it up and see if that helps.

Have a careful look at the pedal box as these can break and on the clutch side of things stops the clutch disengaging properly, not sure whether it suffers on the braking side of things. This chap may be able to advise http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/member.php?u=1549

1 - 8 of 8 Posts