VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2004 T5 2.5 174
2,367 Posts
If it was the key transponder it should have had an 'engine blocked by immobilzer' code and only run for less than a second before it cut out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Well the garage have looked at the van and think its a fuelling problem.
They think that the secondary fuel pump or tandem fuel pump which runs off the cam may have broken which stops fuel getting to the injectors.
Strangely enough he said there was a re-call out on my year van to replace faulty bolts on this pump!!
There going to take it out and see whats what.
Hopefully I may be covered by some form of warranty as regards to this if the bolts failed to cause my pump packing up.
Wouldnt know much on this as Ive never really owned modern cars/vans before
Would I have to pay for the labour at the main dealers if so, or will it be a case of kicking up merry hell??

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well there going to take the pump off and see if its already loose as a result of these bolts that might not have been replaced.

I think Dazboi01 would know a little more as quoting from a 'cordwallis maidenhead' big up thread he says.... "warranty is the result of a failure of a manufactured part"

I have little faith in my main dealers but I can only try if it is suspicious.

If only there was a cordwallis or Dazboi01 near me..:):):ILU:

I dont even think you can get replacement pumps from anywhere but vw ??...and I dont think there cheap :(

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
Well there going to take the pump off and see if its already loose as a result of these bolts that might not have been replaced.

I think Dazboi01 would know a little more as quoting from a 'cordwallis maidenhead' big up thread he says.... "warranty is the result of a failure of a manufactured part"

I have little faith in my main dealers but I can only try if it is suspicious.

If only there was a cordwallis or Dazboi01 near me..:):):ILU:

I dont even think you can get replacement pumps from anywhere but vw ??...and I dont think there cheap :(
what years the van? does it have any main dealer service history?

what i said about warranty is correct, although all vw vehicles have a stated warranty period for t5 it is 3 years or 100k miles whichever comes first, outside of the warranty period it is then down to "factory goodwill" items that may be regarded as faulty outside the warranty period, an example of this is the water pump on 2.5 t5, this is covered for an extra year or 93k miles whichever comes first.

whilst they have got your fuel pump off i would strongly advise you to get them to drop the fuel filter out and do a contamination check, see if there is any cross contamination oil into fuel, this can cause running issues and is a result of the seals on the injectors leaking, couple of the guys on here have experienced this.

i havent heard alot of tandem pump failures to be honest, if you want to give me a call for a chat 01628418456, the tandem pump recall can be checked by your local dealer to see if it has been carried out, but if im truthfully honest with you it is very unlikely you would recieve any financial assistance from volkswagen customer care, the vehicle is nearly 5 years old, i dont know what the mileage is but its likely to be higher?

as i said before if you feel you need a chat, give me a call

·
13,223 Posts
you can but try customer care, but they cant pay you or a non main dealer, so the work would have to be carried out by a local main dealer....sorry i dont seem to be saying anything positive do i?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for the replys.
The fuel filter was checked and replaced, with no contamination present.
The injector seals were replaced as the first choice and the old ones werent in the best of order.
The tandem pump wasnt pushing out anywhere near enough pressure so we bit the bullet and put a new one on.
The van now actually runs............but very badly with lots of smoke.

Yep the turbo is shot too.

Not happy:(

And just my luck there not cheap either, My van will be gathering dust in the back of a garage now.

·
13,223 Posts
im sorry to hear that tufty, there are other turbo suppliers around that can do a relatively cheap new turbo, some of the guys on here have sourced them for themselves.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
im sorry to hear that tufty, there are other turbo suppliers around that can do a relatively cheap new turbo, some of the guys on here have sourced them for themselves.
thanks you have been very helpful in all of your replies T:

My mechanic has phoned back with better news regards the turbo as a company hes found can rebuild/replace the turbo.

I was just a little shocked how much they are to buy new!:eek:

Hopefully This will be the last thing!

plus im off to bug jam next week and dont fancy sleeping in a tent :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Bad news, the company cannot rebuild the turbo and dont have any in stock :(.

Can anyone suggest places where I can source one from other than main dealers which will cost me £1200:eek:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts