VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Full of Cr*p....
9,010 Posts
Battery should be at around 12.4 with no load.
Maybe down to 12 (or a bit less) with glow plugs on.
Cranking....THEN it will drop quite a way!
Diesels (especially when cold) take a LOT of cranking.....that's why the cables are so thick!
Most batteries have at least 650A cranking capacity....but only around 300 amps is normal for a 2.4D, OUCH!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Battery should be at around 12.4 with no load.
Maybe down to 12 (or a bit less) with glow plugs on.
Cranking....THEN it will drop quite a way!
Diesels (especially when cold) take a LOT of cranking.....that's why the cables are so thick!
Most batteries have at least 650A cranking capacity....but only around 300 amps is normal for a 2.4D, OUCH!

Cheers Gaz,
I'm listening and learning,
Thank You.
Appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So,
Battery on charge,
Gloves off, boots off,
Cuppa Rosy.
Thanks everyone so far.
You've all given me the grit to get through this Right Royal Ball ache.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You have to check if the alternator is giving you charging power....while engine is running. Shuld be 13 ...14V. If the Voltage is to low the engine brain is cuting of the engine.

Sent fra min motorola one via Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
11.5 volts if before you turn the key the battery is not low it’s dead/flat and it’s not going anywhere, if so get another fully charged battery, jump with some heavy leads.

That’s the first issue, hopefully you turned the engine at least one full turn to check if any internal damage.

Will it start.

If it starts, why did it stop, overheating will not stop the engine it may have got so hot it seized a piston/s, if it starts fix the leak, how does it sound if no clatter it may be runnable but most likely has a blown head gasket and or cracked head.

If the engine is making noises it’s an engine out job, it will be fixable, the old 5D is pretty indestructible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You have to check if the alternator is giving you charging power....while engine is running. Shuld be 13 ...14V. If the Voltage is to low the engine brain is cuting of the engine.

Sent fra min motorola one via Tapatalk

Thanks Mortena,
Engine isn't running at mo,
Alternator was fine previously..
I have just tried to 'jump start' with my mates tractor..
nothing,
Which I think leads to starter motor could have been killed by overheated engine?
It's old,
It tried to kick once after a hammer hit, but zero response now..
Thanks again..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
11.5 volts if before you turn the key the battery is not low it’s dead/flat and it’s not going anywhere, if so get another fully charged battery, jump with some heavy leads.

That’s the first issue, hopefully you turned the engine at least one full turn to check if any internal damage.

Will it start.

If it starts, why did it stop, overheating will not stop the engine it may have got so hot it seized a piston/s, if it starts fix the leak, how does it sound if no clatter it may be runnable but most likely has a blown head gasket and or cracked head.

If the engine is making noises it’s an engine out job, it will be fixable, the old 5D is pretty indestructible.

Thanks Andy, and everyone too,

First up I suppose..
Charged battery up to 13.4v
Then drained whilst attempting a start..

I have just tried to 'jump start' with my mates tractor..
...nothing...
Which,
I think leads to starter motor could have been killed,affected by overheated engine?
She started fine before this 'event'
It's old, the starter motor,
It tried to kick over once, a brief once, after a hammer hit, but zero response now..
I'll take it apart, try to make it functional,
£150 +/- for a new one, is out of my budget at the mo,
Unless of course I MUST..

Yes, I agree, The old T4 is fixable..

(Curiously,
What's the reference to 5D?
5 Cylinder diesel??? Or?)

I've just never done it before,
Bring it on !!!
Very grateful for all your help.

There doesn't seem to be any clunking or the such when I hand crank her over..
A certain amount of resistance at the 'starting point ...

Starter motor overhaul first,
I'll be back..

Thank You.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts