VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - On changing gear from 2nd to 3rd, something went ‘snap! In my 2004 T5. It sounds like the clutch has gone. The accelerator sounds ok in neutral but in gear the clutch is making a horrible screeching noise and the van’s not getting any power when I’m in gear. I’ve rolled to the side of the road for now..

The clutch was last changed 40k miles ago, and no sign of slipping until this sudden breakdown.

One alternative is a driveshaft problem. The garage did say that several driveshaft bolts were missing at the mot. They replaced these.. If there had damage to the driveshaft, that might have failed rather than the clutch.

wondering if anyone has similar thoughts or experiences?

I’m in hackney in case anyone knows a great and reliable garage near by!

cheers,
Kassia

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Most likely offside driveshaft on the gearbox end. unfortunately, unless rust and iron filings are coming out, the only way to look at this, is driveshaft removal, which is actually very easy with the correct tools.

Several driveshaft bolts missing?? There are only 2 on the intermediate O/S driveshaft bearing, and if they were missing, the van wouldn't drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bluezie - fortunately/unfortunately it wasn't the driveshaft at all but the gearbox. I mistyped in the above, the driveshaft bolts were loose not missing..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts