VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
’98 1.9td 1000 swb

(short version of this is in Engine forum) Yesterday I was supposed to be starting a 1000 mile drive from North Wales to Chamonix France. I only got 30 miles before my ancillary drive pulley sheared off. I was on the A55 doing 70mph and got a lout thunk bang, like I’d driven over some road debris (the power steering drive pulley). Followed by another loud thunk bang (the waterpump and alternator drive pulley) and now lots of warning lights. Engine still running fine I pulled over instantly noticing something was wrong the steering was heavy. A quick look underneath, pulleys and belts missing but no vital fluids pouring out. I limped to Prestatyn. With the help of friends and family I first unloaded the van (2 trips) and then towed it to a friends garage.

The three sheared off bolts (one was missing completely) came out easily enough with a drill and easy-out. Brickyard scrapyard in Llandudno had a golf diesel pulley, thought we would give it a go. The golf drive pulley lines up with alternator and water pump but the v pulley doesn’t line up with power steering. The alternator belt was real pig to get on, but once on fitted ok. I drove home (Betws y Coed to Bangor) with no Power Steering.

I would like to try and make it Dover before the end of Monday. But without having to drive all the way to the Alps with no power steering – I will if needs be. Anyone have any idea where I can get the correct pulley (new or used), and some new bolts between North Wales and Dover?

Thanks Tom

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Jc commercials in cardiff scraps t4s his number is in the dismantlers section. he advertises on autotrader too if you need his number.

·
Registered
118 Posts
hi mate have you found a pully yet if not give me a call 07731021146 and i will have a look in my box of bits will help if i can John

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stopped off at Tidy ty's, Very helpfull folks. Pulley was produced within moments of my arival. They even lent me tools and plent of helpfull advice to aid fitting. Many thaks.

It's so nice to have power steering again. The 230 miles without were quite unplesant. Now sitting on the ferry to france. Norlfok line has free wifi :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
glad to hear u got it sorted!!!what colour van u got?im form bangor area!just converted one now!il look out for you!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
glad to hear u got it sorted!!!what colour van u got?im form bangor area!just converted one now!il look out for you!
Olive Drab Green with Audi Alloys and middle side windows (will be putting a build thread to gether soon). But won't been seen in the Bangor area for a while. It's now a resideint of Chamonix France. Willl be back in the Autumn for a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts