VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys just looking for adivce to what this problem is with my van. Driving along an notice I'm lacking power while pulling away from the traffic lights. Three houndered yards down the road it loses power an dies? any idea what could be the problem?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Re: Broke down ��

Hi Lee,

Sorry you broke down but it doesn't sound terminal, just got to work your way through the options. if an engine stops then it is typically down to fuel or electrics, so start with the basics, have you got fuel? is your fuel gauge definately working? are you getting fuel to or from your fuel pump? (so no blockages). howabout the battery, now a diesel engine should still keep running even if you disconnect the battery (once it has fired up) but have you been seeing the alternator light onn the dash? just been doing a load of small journeys and not giving the battery a good run?

I am not a mechanic but had enough classic cars to know not to panic and work your way through the basics. I have not had my van long enough yet to know any silly little solutions so best of luck.

Stu...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Is it a 1.9td? Like Stuart says, sounds like a fuel issue, could be as simple as fuel filter desperately needing to be changed! Has it been serviced recently or neglected (how long have you had it)? Have you run it low on fuel lately, it might have sucked all the crud from the bottom of the fuel tank and blocked the filter?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to update the post, I managed to find the fault was a lose wire from the fuel cut off switch. Not had the van long and I've had nothing but problems with it not only the breakdown issue last week but The van nearly went on fire due to a faulty starter motor almost going on fire ?. Seriously I'm just wondering what's going to happen to it next!! :(

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Sounds like it would be a good idea to clean and check as many electrical connections as you can ! Has the wiring been messed with , at all ? Also , renew the batt. earth strap that goes to starter motor , and fuse strips for glo-plugs , and rad. fans Clean all connections , and protect with a bit of vaseline .. It will only cost you a tenner or so , and a bit of time , put other plans for van on hold -get basics right first ..!! If you plan , or have , electrical add-ons , I would be inclined to have them on a separate battery circuit , not tapped in to OEM circuits , to avoid interference with electronics , unless you are a electric guru ..!! Its far better to have a reliable van , than trying to compete with the bottomless wallets of the favoured few ..!! My electrics are totally OEM , had it since 1994 , and , had few issues .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts