VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a T4 2.5 TDI 888 special on a 53 plate. The cam belt snapped :eek: (even though it was apparently replaced less than 20,000 miles ago according to the service history). The local commercial Garage has done the repair for me, but a tapping noise still remains, and when I drove it it seemed under powered. They have it back to look at the hydraulic tappets, but there seems to be another problem. I love my van but this could be the end of a beautifull relationship. Any one got any tips or hints I could give the garage? even the good guys need some help every now and then.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
if you are confident with garage ability to sort, fine, if not, go to main VWG, will cost you, but may save the engine and future problems?

also, was the cambelt sourced via main VWG, if so, may have a case to get discount if under warranty?

good luck:ILU:

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Worth a check.......when the engine is idleing.......press the brake pedal hard down......if the tapping stops, the vacuum pump or the push rod inside has worn ;)

If this is the case......you can either live with it, replace the pushrod (about £20 but doesnt usually make a difference) or replace the vacuum pump itself (about £200 from VW but I believe less from GSF)

Like I say.....worth a check.

Good luck

Chris :ILU:

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips and hints, it appears there was a machining error, with the valve seats not having been adjusted to allow for the skim of the head. Hope this means something to you, and may be of help to others. Still waiting to get the van back, I'll let you know the end results.

·
Registered
24 Posts
normal procedure is to replace the belt (setting the engine as you go) and then turn the engine over by hand a couple of times to see if anything is touching (valves and pistons).
prob a bent valve, not much to replace the valve but it is a head off job (gasket set) the head should not have needed skimming anyway.

hope its something and nothing.....

best of luck, keep us posted.
jonny.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My timing belt broke although it was supposed to have been replaced a year ago?
It is a 2002 888 special but I got it replaced and everything to me seems as before but the garage say that the compression is slightly down on one cylinder and that it will be because of a bent valve.
Should I keep using it as it is or is it only a mater of time before some thing will go bang.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts