VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

As most of you probably know, I'm up to my eye-browse with my project.

So, for the last few months 'Lulu' has been neglected :( I've been meaning to fix my 'dodgy' passenger side door handle for quite a while now. A couple of months back we had a very very cold spell, to the point of my locks freezing. Early one morning I got to my van, went to open my passenger door, and the handle was very stiff, I pulled a little harder and the handle went very limp ........ ooooppps, that doesn't sound good ! :*

Instantly, I imagined the all too familiar problem that these vehicles suffer from, and by that I mean, the dreaded plastic clip, that connects the actuator rod snapping off.

A fix I would have to do another day. As the 'to do' list is growing by the day :(

I finally managed to set aside a couple of hours the other day to tackle the problem. Here's what I found.

I had to remove my doorcard anyway, as I'm installing 'door open warning LED's' in the doors. A quick peek inside the door at the connecting rods indicated that, that was not the problem....... mmmmmmmmm :confused:

So I set about removing the door handle first >>

Once those 2 screws are removed, tilt the top of the handle inward as you bring the bottm out >>

:eek: ...... that doesn't look good ! >>

Once the door handle is removed completely, and the broken part retrieved before it falls into the door. We can inspect it a little closer. right away we realise this aint going to be a straight forward fix, as it's sheared off !
It looks as thought it's made out of cast alloy. >>

OK, now we'll remove the lock assembly >>

You can quite easily lose your rag trying to get this thing out ......... just be patient :cool:
VW got it in there, so it must come out the way it went in, right ?
Theres no space to maneuver, so first thing, wind the window up ( my first impression was, the lock mechanism is wider than the door ..... hows this going to work :* )

Here's how .... with your hand inside the door, bring the left hand side of the lock forward, at the same time twisting the top of the lock assembly upward and in. That should clear the window runner, and allow you to remove the lock from the door. >>

In this picture you can clearly see the the top hole where the plastic clip 'locks' in, that operates the actuator that connects to the inner door handle pull. The rod will unclip itself, as you twist the lock in the door when attempting to remove it, Make sure that little white plastic clip doesn't fall into your door I: >>

In order to fix something, you need to know how it works. So I positioned everything on my desk, as it would be installed in the door ( little white clip inserted back in its hole .... just in case I lose it ). This is a purely mechanical device, loads of levers and springs. Good news here is, no springs broken or levers bent. Notice the offending part, the weakest link in the entire assembly !>>

Here's what it should look like. A cotter pin holding the lever onto a post. I already knew at this point I would have to buy a replacement. But in the meantime, I had to make my van safe. So a temporary fix is now my mission. >>

Here's what I came up with .... I drilled a pilot hole, then enlarged it with my dremel ( don't try and drill a larger hole, as this is only cast alloy and it may even crack ! ) enlarge the hole to about 4mm >>

I had some M4 x 20mm screws knocking about, bit small diameter wise I know, so I had to use a 'spacer', a piece of tubing works fine, then I just used a nylock nut to keep it all together >>

The lever is mounted upside down just for the picture >>

Re-assembly is a direct reversal of what we did earlier. Make sure you connect the actuator rod and door pin lock first, as this is near on impossible to do when the lock is in place. >>

Screw everything back together, stand back and admire :D >>

As the above guide is purely a temporary fix, I had to do a little research for the part number. A little hunting around brought this up >>

No doubt somebody will find this of interest, so here's the direct link http://www.auto-parts.spb.ru/cat/au/au.mycat?PrevPg&t=7y1CZyUtQmdjLUJnrXcqXt5sG0G8dCeJIc1CZ99ywlfvLUAYDy9CZG8JQ/RvDULtaYtGff8gQ8SmxyhhYi1TPi2pYx_U0cWhAvXO9fNBF_zs8J6U1b1Qfu6p137rIf5FisNBbGURVoYbh7NzAxzrBKN8VPSrNXHT3IZfiqlJhkoqbgn1P8MFhw9Gk1dR0R_u_8wAJniWeec=

The part number you're looking for is 701 837 205

And a quick search on Goolge for that part number came up with this http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Door-Handle-Front-T4-Left-With-keys-701837205_act_shop.product_pID_119388724_lang_EN_country_GB.htm

£ 32.00 :eek:

Hope it helps somebody.

TURK

·
Registered
320 Posts
Nice bit of DIY handywork there bud, nice one. A:

Can I be bold and ask a question.....

I have an intermitent nearside central locking issue, so last night I removed the plastic door card, no dramas there, I can now see and hear the solenoid but can't get to it. So, long question shortened, how do you remove the alloy/metal door panel?
I removed the half dozen bolts (10mm I think??) and the panel becomes loose but obviously I now need to disconnect/remove the winder mechanism etc....
I am guessing it'll be fairly straight forward once I know how?

Thanks in advance for any guidance. T:

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dave,

Thanks for that.

I'm not going to be of any use I'm afraid mate. I haven't even seen a central locking kit :*

To be honest ..... I'm not a big fan of central locking either.
I'd hate to think what would happen in the event of an accident, if the central locking locked all the doors caused by the impact.
And then you can't get out of your vehicle ........ fuel everywhere .......... electrical sparks !!!!! ..... the thought of it makes me shudder :(

You're going to walk up to your vehicle with your key in your hand anyway.

Sorry if I've put you off central locking :D

Good luck on your fix.

TURK

·
Registered
320 Posts
Cheers for the reply Turk,

You know what, you've got some valid points there! I suppose I can sleep sound knowing the inside door handle overrides the electrical locking when you open it, so I should be safe to get out in an incident.

But you know what, I like your logic - we all walk up to the vehicle with the key out anyway! T:

Thanks for the reply bud, much appreciated.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Cheers for the pictorial guide. I did a quick repair fix which worked for a while. Ended up buying a new one from Just Kampers and it wouldn't work properly.
I ended up removing the cam lever off my original handle and putting it on the JK one and it works fine. There is a millimetre difference but that is enough.

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry Simon I'm not a 'wiggling' sort of bloke ! ........

While you have your tools out and your door apart, why not take the time to investigate why the part broke in the first place :*
It probably is possible to simply replace the door handle, but I usually service the entire part, are the springs OK ? and does it need re-greasing ? .........
Do it right, do it once ;)

TURK

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah true,, mine broke in the same place as yours, just really don't wanna strip the whole door down knowing it's was a piece of cast alloy that snap I: i do know where your coming from, but living on a busy road and no where to work i would rather have a 5 min job on a busy road and not take me tools to a tesco's carpark for 2 hours T:

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To answer your question Simon ........ yes it is T: it's possible to fix the door exterior handle, without taking your interior door panel off and removing the entire locking assembly.

I just looked at all the pictures I took ( twice as many as those on the actual post ), and they're in order. Notice the fourth picture down, I've removed the L shaped part before removing the lock assembly, the broken part is actually the pivot point that actuates the cam on the lock assembly ........ so it just makes contact with it. So when you pull your door handle the L shape bracket actuates the cam clearly seen on the eighth picture down.

Hope that helps mate.

TURK

·
T4 2.5 TDi 2003 SWB
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to add to that Simon ........

If you decide you need to replace your exterior door handle, it will come with a set of keys which mean the lock assembly will be different than your ignition key. In order to keep all the locks the same so you can operate each and every lock on your van with only one key, you'll need to follow this procedure to change out the barrel >

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=299892

TURK

·
Registered
256 Posts
All sorted , An hour and a half later I: might of been better to take the whole lot apart I: putting just the handle on is more like a wiggle and a ed off bang I:

·
Registered
256 Posts
my post are coming out messed up for some reason :* was trying to say your way is alot better and take it all apart T: was a right nightmare doing it my way I:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts