VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks

I hit a pothole today and immediately after that the oil light came on and the rev counter became possessed and the dial went all over the shop.

The engine sounded fine and the van was running beautifully though.

I pulled over to check the oil and it was absolutely fine (thanks to the Steves for sorting out my oil leak at the beginning of the year - gratuitous plug for VW Connections T:)

Trouble is - it wouldn't start again :(

It turns over but dies straight away and the throttle has no effect whatsoever.

There is no glow plug light on the dash when the ignition key's turned either.

I got a tow home so I'm hoping one of you good people might be able to point me in the right direction - these things always happen out of hours when you really need the van!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers :D

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're speaking to an auto electrical numpty here, Brookster!

How would I begin to find it again? :*

·
Registered
773 Posts
make sure the bat is connected properly and i would check the plug in to the ecu is in properly.. hope you get it sortedT:T:

·
Registered
773 Posts
i had a thing a bit like this on my expert now i think of it and it was the earth from the front leg to the gear box i proved it by putting a jump lead from the earth on batt to the engine hoist bracket

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your replies fellas - but this idiot's going to need a bit more of an idiot's guide if he's going to sort it!

There's a pint or a few in it :D

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
You need to get the engine pan off and its right underneath (you cant miss the great big earth strap)..
Search 'cage mod' (basically electrical contact cleaner and silicon grease on various connections)on here and clean up all those electrical connections. Sounds like something has come loose/ bad contact

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Might be worth just checking the connections on the battery first as well before dropping the belly pan, hopefully you'll get it sorted quickish!

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No joy yet :(

All connections tight as a gnat's chuff and ecu connections clean and secure too.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Was just about to mention Relay 109, that thread seems to have a lot of info in there and covers what I was about to say.

Looking at your avatar, you have a yellow T4, is it an ex AA one by any chance?, if so another thought is they had additional immobilisers.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No its not the immo - that wont turn the engine at all and the horn sounds - but thanks for the thought.

I'm gonna find one from a scrappy tomorrow I reckon - do 109's from any VW fit or does it have to be a T4?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
No its not the immo - that wont turn the engine at all and the horn sounds - but thanks for the thought.

I'm gonna find one from a scrappy tomorrow I reckon - do 109's from any VW fit or does it have to be a T4?
Have a look in the 109 relay thread at my reply, before you buy a relay as you don't need the relay to get your van running to test!.

And do you have a multimeter?

·
Registered
573 Posts
someone needs to write a troubleshooting 101 for the T4s . I don't have a TDI so I am not the one, but way too many threads seem obsessed with the GP relay. There are other weak points in the system that need to be checked when in a no start situ. current to the fuel cut off solenoid being way up there ( and does it click) also the ignition switch is a POS that can fail in the ON position and still turn the engine over. I imagine with the TDI there are other little tidbits to check (which is why I kind of prefer my AAB) but as far as the OP is concerned, get a multimeter, do a little research online re "basic automotive wiring 101" it is not rocket science, and really less complicated than a Bosch Fuel pump.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts