VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im about to start lining out the back of the van, im going to cover all the metal work and then the side panels seperatly.
how much brushable glue should i order todo the rear metal work not including the B pillar as i have plastic trim on it?
cheers chris

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
I dont know how other people do it but we masked the windows of with tape and it was fine

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
any overspray comes off easy with white spirit T: . the spray i use is in industrial megga cans and knocks the socks off any tinned sprays , still cones off easy with spirit

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used a contact adhesive called Bond Loc which is available from Toolstation. I think it's about £5 a tin (500ml maybe?) and I used 2 tins. It's available as brushable or spray. I used the brushable as I felt it was more controllable and it worked great. Hammerite thinners seemed to clean the brush.

Steve

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
ahhhhh , nothing like using contact adhesive in a confined space . M: . i remember doing a lift in carpet once , well i think i remember anyway lol

·
Registered
11,549 Posts
oh you meen the proper gear kieran no mate i dont use that stuff enough i thought you ment a spray can sorry bud :ILU::ILU::cool:

·
Registered
116 Posts
mega van mats high temperature spray adhesive. its not too expensive and easy to use. make sure you use high temperature though else it will just peel off on a hot day :ILU:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yep, definitely go for the high temp stuff. I learnt the hard way and ended up doing the roof lining twice:*:* It was fine until the summer!

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
I've used the same, so it's not scene tax that's pushing prices up is it, I used four tins so my vans now worth £29,000:D

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Aerosols are for the low stress areas ideally - and to cover large areas of carpet. Use brushable on high stress areas to give extra grab.

Neither costs the earth and both are available from MegaVan Mats or Martrim. Both HAVE to be high temp automotive glue.

This is the one thing that keeps coming up again and again and again and each time someone says that they got their glue from some local DIY place - and I'll repeat the same reply again.

If you don't use high temp automotive specific glue, your carpetting will be lucky to last more than a couple of years at the very most and you'll have to do it all again.......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts