VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my exhaust started blowing yesterday on my 2002 2.5tdi t4,wasnt too worried as i had a plan in mind for de catting anyway,went to my local motor factors bought a 2.4 diesel transporter front pipe part no vw572v-clamp syl 23-gasket vag 61,£34-70 all in

fits straight on with the same 3 bolt flange at the front and 55mm slide in pipe at the other end same as original exhaust

biggest problem was as any of you who have done it will know is getting the 3 rusty bolts removed from the flange,we just burned them off and replaced them,took around 1 hour 15 mins due to the rusty bolts

fits perfect sweet as a nut and i took my old cat to my friend who has a scrapyard and got £40 for it,perfect so all in i have de catted my van and came home with £5-30 more than i went out with,happy days H:

sorry if pic is a bit big

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
what i always do on cars is mock up a de cat myself or but one then go down the scrappy and sell the de-cat and make some bear tokens so job has actualy made me money lol or failing that i used to just remove them and nock the centre out the cat

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, be interested to know what difference it has madeT:T:
apart from being quiter due to the big hole i havent noticed any to be honest as its been chuckin it down with rain today so i havent been anywhere since fitting it,but i will let you know asap,is it supposed to make a difference ?i only done it for the cheaper replacement option to be honest,but if it gives more oomph great as i tow this and it has a bit of drag due to shape and size and it plays havoc with my mpg

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
is he ever alowed out of there? he doesnt look very pleased with it allLOL:LOL:LOL:
it was roasting hot and the sun was in his eyes,he is normally a cheery chap,

as for other questions you dont need a cat for mot on a 2.5tdi,has less emmisions im led to believe with out it,search on here been talked about many times

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well this forum is just great, I was told im my MOT my cat has a hole but have put it off due to the cost of either a new cat or replacement pipe, now I know I'll be off shopping again.

Cornblower

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Well this forum is just great, I was told im my MOT my cat has a hole but have put it off due to the cost of either a new cat or replacement pipe, now I know I'll be off shopping again.

Cornblower
a lot of garages are starting to tell pepole theres is fooked so they can go scrap your old one and earn 50quid T:

·
Registered
124 Posts
a lot of garages are starting to tell pepole theres is fooked so they can go scrap your old one and earn 50quid T:
Mine is mate its got a hole in the side !!! Garage I go to lets me off with blown bulbs (minor stuff etc.) as they know I'll do all the work myself.

Who'll give me £50 for it then ???

Cornblower

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Decatting is not an issue as such for the MOT if the smoke emissions aren't affected - however a cat on a diesel engine goes someway to reducing the other toxic emissions, and a late EU3 TDI will have a different type of cat on it that includes a particulate trap...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts