VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what your thoughts are on budge tyres ? I guess you get what you pay for but looking at some 275/40/20 load rated 106 tyres on Blackcircles.com they range from £102 to £369. So if I buy the £102 tyres am I as safe as on the top price tyres? When my kids are in the van their safety is paramount so I want to buy the right rubber.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
its not exactly a fast handling car your driving is it?

if were an m5 then yes,be scared,but a van,nah,wouldnt worry me,and i put my 3 kids in ours,

but its all down to personal preference.T:T:

·
Premium Member
6,380 Posts
I wouldn't use the cheapest tyres. Autocar did a back to back test and found that the cheap brands had up to 30% less lateral grip than premium brands. You dont know when you'll need maximum performance from your tyres but you want to know they're ready for anything. This doesn't mean you need to go mental, you can get some pretty good tyres like Kumho, Falken or even Nankang.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I too have no probs with budget tyres. I`ve allways used them. Had 18`s on my 9 seat Shuttle since June and they are fine, i`m carrying 5 kids as well!!!!!T:T:T:

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
I don't have money to waste so I'd never fit budget, they never last as long as premium brands.

I bought a set of Dunlop sport max with 7.5 - 8 mm of tread of a guy in brum for £450 not a mark on them. They retail at about £300 a corner.

I still have his number if you want it, as he gets these quite regularly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just fit the best you can afford and as stated previously you aint drivin a nissan skyline are ya and i would hope you drive a tad more carefully when you got the kids in the van , i've run nankang on my 19's for 2 years and have had NO problems some people will tell ya to buy top brands well thats ok for them if they can afford to do that :ILU:

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Just wondering what your thoughts are on budge tyres ? I guess you get what you pay for but looking at some 275/40/20 load rated 106 tyres on Blackcircles.com they range from £102 to £369. So if I buy the £102 tyres am I as safe as on the top price tyres? When my kids are in the van their safety is paramount so I want to buy the right rubber.

Thanks
My view on tyres is the best you can afford - if you look at the amount of rubber touching the road and sticking you to planet Earth - I'd use the best glue. I never let the wear get to the minimum either.

I never skimp on tyres or brakes

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
My 08 plate works van (Ford Transit) came from new with kumho tyres and I thought great thats me im a hedge hugger now but they were really good I was very suprised tbh and lasted 37,000 mls and that was loaded to near gross weight all the time so if you can afford the kumho's get them you wont be disappointed *<:)>

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I really don't understand when people say you're not driving a sports car so doesn't really matter.

Surely if a kid runs out in front of you, you need to have the ability to stop as fast as possible? :confused:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I really don't understand when people say you're not driving a sports car so doesn't really matter.

Surely if a kid runs out in front of you, you need to have the ability to stop as fast as possible? :confused:
I agree if your in a straight line no probs but what if you have to stop in an emergency I know what tyres I'd like to be on, a few meters less to stop might be the difference between someone's life or death , put the best tyres on you can afford!

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
QUOTE=Manfred;1212813]
I never skimp on tyres or brakes[/QUOTE]

Me neither - if you can't afford decent tyres for 20" wheels then stick to something smaller, rim size or go the whole hog & fit pasta pads & mdf discs if you're not bothered about safety & the vehicle's occupants.

Maybe a T5 is not a Nissan Skyline, but it's not a Fraud Focus either - what we have is a commercial vehicle that can gross at anything from 2.6 > 3.2 tonnes & also be towing a heavy trailer.

Talking about Nissan Skylines there was a local lad who ran one with budget tyres on - he's dead now - nuff said !

Agreed - no matter how good/extra trained a driver you are there is always the chance that this or somthing similar will happen.

·
Premium Member
4,627 Posts
its a really difficult thing for someone else to answer. you get what you pay for. but I would go along with buy the best you can afford, but as you have kids in there you hopefuly arent looking to drive like a race car driver, but you need to be ble to stop and turn confidentally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Guys.............. talking tyres............ in my neck of the woods (OZ), we are seeing an influx of Chinese tyres which are considerably cheaper than the long standing market brands.

Understand some of these Chinese brands have been on the UK and European markets for a number of years and accordingly am wondering if anybody has had any experience with this brand:

DOUBLE STAR DS 620 & DS 608 in 16" 225/65C or 16" 225/70C both with loads 106/108

Not sure that the argument that 'a cheaper price' now days always automatically equates to a lesser/inferior product.......... and yes we have all heard.........'You get what you pay for'.

And when I compare the prices on the established brand tyres in OZ compared to what the same tyre costs in the US one has to wonder whats going on.

:*

·
Registered
494 Posts
the only thing between you and death is the four bits of rubber in each corner of your van.we all hope never to need the maxium amount of grip when cornering or braking but when you do its nice to know when you do its there and so does the child you didnt hit

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have had Nankangs for several years on cars and will if need be fit em to my van if they do a size that fits. I found their performance to be ok but did allow for some fun round corners in the wet in my car.

At the end of the day if you fit slightly cheaper tyres then they dont usally last quite so long as brand name tyres but then again you are not paying brand name prices.

Best thing is to ask the fitter what they are like and if he would be happy using them as this is what i have done in the past with good results, Most tyre fitters are good in this respect.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
most tyres behave well in the dry its in the wet that you get a differance at 30mph a top tyre will stop in around 31 meters a really cheap budget will stop you in 40 now the obvious thing to do is leave extra braking room in the wet but many peeps on motorways etc dont, so i also go for a budget tyre made by a decent brand name company as to a company ive never heard of and never fit a remould not that there are many around nowadays,
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Autocar-Tyre-Test-Budget-Tyre-Performance.htm
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/tyre-test-why-budget-tyres-could-kill/251766
as for asking the fitter most are dumb asses who wont have tried the tyres your buying better to use the net for a review for best results, run budgets in the summer and have a set of winter tyres in the winter for when the weather gets bad

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
I had accelera phi on my t5 and they were very good in the dry, not too bad in the wet and lasted about 20k on the front!
£ wise, you could always get part worn. A place on the wirral did a matching pair of Goodyear excellence for £120 fitted etc with 7mm of tread on each.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts