VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all, just looking to pick your minds and experience on the subject of budget builds. Are they realistic??

A receant redundancy has left me re-evaluating life in general and I've come to the conclusion that I want/need to get out "there" more as getting away for a day or so really chills me out and makes me a happier person!! I've been one of these umming and arr-ing about doing a "camper" project for ages now however finances after the redundancy aren't so great (I've taken a £5000 pay cut in the new job) so I'd be starting with a figure around the £2000 mark.

Now I'm not looking at making a top spec show van or anything, all I really want is to convert a panel (or velle) to a basic get away weekend vehicle, talking bed, fridge and stereo for interior after carpeting out, and cosmetically outside maybe a wheel change, sensible lowering job and some windows. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty and have built up 10 years worth of tools and have my own welding gear, I'm also not afraid of rustoleum in the back lane!! :D

Don't want to do anything too fancy, don't want to worry about leaving it in car parks or bumping up kerbs or filling it with sand!!

So anyone out there done this whole T4 thing at the cheaper end of the scale??

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
I think I got one of the cheapest vans and hardly no rust , I also converted it so I can use it as my 5 family runaround , it's not to hard if u look on hear you find all your answers and everyone will help you ,
Just look at the builds and get idears then just plod along but be carfull it is addictive and can cost lots lol lucky I'm broke :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
My T5 cost £3000. It came with half a tank of something, 23 euros under the seat, two broken springs and 32kgs of dust... which i think was moon dust as the milage was 138,000.

Costs so far

£3000 Engine and clutch. yeah yeah...
£1000 New bottom arms, rear calipers, tyres, anti roll bar links, and a few other items...

She now reads 171000 miles and I have, this week :ILU: started to convert her into a camper/work thing.

There are cheap ones about. The odd dent is great. I have the odd dent per panel ratio of one to one. A:

·
Registered
477 Posts
ye can fit out the interior with everything ye need pretty cheaply if ye can cut and make yer cupboards/bed, fit wiring etc.. 500 would see it done . i did my old transit for about that or less it wasn't the best around but functioned brilliantly. if ye can get a good cheap van yer there. i managed by pure luck to get my t4 1.9td 140000 pretty solid for 300 quid plus 200 for mot bits. so it can be done. a bit of fortune a bit of will.

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
In a word yes......

I've seen and bought a few cheap vans and velles.

Just keep looking. Seek and you will find.. Think my first T4 took me 6 months to find :ILU: And they have all been done on a budget.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
My van owes me less than a grand all done.

Take a look at my build thread ....... http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55672

Being in the trade I helped a fair bit but it's possible to do all this at home for not much more cost, just get your scavenging hat on T:.

I've just starting doing my mk2 golf at home and I don't plan on spending £500 all in, car, repairs, custom paintjob, lowered, wheels, etc.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
i have just re-done my interior... again (4th in 3 years) :eek:

all reclaimed/recycled timber. my conversion cost under £200, and that was to get the bed cusions made :ILU:

it is fairly unique though and not to everyones taste, you need to like wood...:D

·
Registered
396 Posts
Theres definetly some cheap vans about , but you just have to look a bit harder for them ;)

My van was purchased for £500 and ive probably spent another £500 on it and i ve got exactly want i needed , the only other expense now will be painting it and im tempted to go down the Rustoleum route so that will be cheap too!!!!

As long as you can do the majority of the work yourself then you can keep the cost down

·
Registered
101 Posts
i have just re-done my interior... again (4th in 3 years) :eek:

all reclaimed/recycled timber. my conversion cost under £200, and that was to get the bed cusions made :ILU:

it is fairly unique though and not to everyones taste, you need to like wood...:D
I have got to say your interior is stunningT: I was at Weston a couple of weeks ago and both me and the wife loved it!
I'm going to try and do something similar ( hope you don't mind:D ) and if you decide to change it again let me know as I will be very tempted to buy it off you;)
If you get interiors done like Mr Woodcrafts for that sort of money then there is hope for all of us!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Just keep patient mate. You'll find what your looking for. You can get everything done on a minimum budget if you do most of the little jobs yourself. You may shout and kick the van every now and again, but the satisfaction you gain from seeing a finished job that was done by your own hands is hard to beat. Keep your eye out for second hand parts that you want for the interior/exterior and don't be afraid to try new things on it yourself. You'll be surprised at what you can actually do.
Also, accept the fact that you'll never be completely happy with it and you'll be changing things all the time. Luckily the van's are so versatile that you can chop and change things around very quickly. If you are on a budget though, I'd recommend that you do a list of priorities. Decide what you want need the most and then work your way down it in order.
I ended up turning a simple "carry the bikes around to races" van into something that once I get it resprayed next month, Will be of show standard (personal thoughts). You'll be surprised at how it can actually take over mate.......I:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts