VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a t5 at the moment 55 plate or 56 plate, looking at prices the vans that are done ie: colour coded, lowered,side windows etc... are obviously a lot higher priced. Taking into consideration all the labour & costs of parts would you guys say its cheaper to buy a van all done or diy a standard van?
Thanks for any comments

·
previously known as: baggit
812 Posts
Pretty much always will be cheaper to get the standard van and do it yourself, if you have the time, patience and are ok on the tools, you can get the trickier bits but by others. It means you get exactly what you want in the end too.
Don't under estimate how long it will take though it's pretty involved depending on what you want out if it.
I got the vast majority if mine fine for me and I have still pretty much worked on it every weekend through the winter.

The tricky bit is always finding the van in the first place too.

Good luck, be prepared for it to become an obsession lol :DT::ILU:

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
Depends on your freetime ,we convert a panel van to camper in 5 days but theres 80 hours of labour in it ,Bez t5 has got a very clean 55 plate ready to roll ,he ll have it on our stand at bustypes in a fortnightT:

·
Registered
12,212 Posts
Nowt better than the satisfaction of building it yourself T:

At least then you get what YOU want and done to your own exacting standards , you'll also know what that annoying rattle is from the back end when you corner sharply as its probably that bolt that you lost when you came to bolt the bed down ! :D

Nice little project ....you know you want to I:

·
Premium Member
3,763 Posts
LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:
Nowt better than the satisfaction of building it yourself T:

At least then you get what YOU want and done to your own exacting standards , you'll also know what that annoying rattle is from the back end when you corner sharply as its probably that bolt that you lost when you came to bolt the bed down ! :D

Nice little project ....you know you want to I:
LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL: i dropped a skittle (sweet) down the front of my dash on my t5 it did my head in rolling around for weeks must off melted and stuck by now

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys...what would you say would be about the right price to pay for a standard 54/55 plate 1.9 with around 80-90k?

·
Registered
9,434 Posts
LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL:

LOL:LOL:LOL:LOL: i dropped a skittle (sweet) down the front of my dash on my t5 it did my head in rolling around for weeks must off melted and stuck by now
When I did my self build t4, there was just one space where something small could drop through behind a worktop and end up under a unit.

Yep, that's right it did. Mini Maglite rolled about for an entire 200 mile trip.

27 screws:eek: undone later I fished it out. LOL:LOL:LOL:

70 x 50mm piece of 6mm mdf and 2 minutes, was all it took to stop it ever happening again !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts