VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The difference with this build is that it doesn't start with the van, it starts with a Series 3 Land Rover.

Let me explain the oddity here, at present I am a part time teaching assistant and my disposable income is rather limited so I need to release cash from my Land Rover to get on with the project. The Series 3 is currently just a rolling chassis with an ex Discovery 200tdi engine and rear tub. I'd originally taken it off the road to replace the 2.25 diesel engine with a 2.5 litre from a 90 but discovered the chassis was going to need replacing at the front and on checking there was a few other sections that needed repairing.

My first job has been to reconnect the front springs to the front chassis dumb irons, had to burn then cut and drift out old bushe and rig up some kind of press to get the new ones in.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Drifting out the old bush after cutting a groove with a hacksaw blade.

Length of threaded rod, some big washers, couple of nuts, and a couple of appropriately sized sockets made the perfect tool to press in the new bushes which had spent the night in the freezer and had had a good coating of copper grease applied.

Once the bushes were in I had to employ a ratchet strap to pull the back end of the spring which has some give towards the front of the chassis which eventually lined up the holes in the dumb irons with the bush, I then insterted the bolts and nipped up the nuts.

Then set about the axle with some black metal paint.

Next up is fitting the shocks and rebuilding the drivers side swivel housing.

Hope you don't mind this diversion but it gives me a good timeline for the rebuild and because of the need to rebuild the Land Rover it's an important part of the build.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's messing about with a Landrover - what's not to like?
I love messing about with them, so much easier than the van. I'll be sad to see her go once it's done as I've had her for 20 odd years but needs must.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts