VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm newly signed up to this site, but have been reading it for a little while - lots of great info from helpful folks on here!
I think I've read just about every thread regarding the T5 Rockton models, but my apologies if this has been covered elsewhere and I've missed it...

I want to build my own Rockton Expedition. I work in forestry management and one of these would be perfect for the job. I need a large load space and don't need any grand off-road capabilities requiring a 'proper' 4x4, but low-lying tree stumps can do horrors to the underside of regular vehicles. I also have to admit I think they look very cool!

My research suggests that this is not a vehicle available directly from UK dealers. I don't really want to import one, as it would be LHD and also, they are stupid expensive - the proper one is around £35-42,000 (depending on who you ask) plus a further £3,000 for the all important underbody protection. If any of you have conflicting info on any of this - please let me know!

Also, I don't really need that overly-military interior. A standard Kombi would do me.
And, it seems to me that all of the necessary conversion parts are available from a single supplier (but I might be missing something):

http://www.seikel.de

So...

I was thinking to start with a 140PS Kombi 4MOTION, then add the rest of the bits myself.
Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to go about this (assuming I base this project on a new vehicle)?

1. Ask VW to send a van to Seikel ex. works?
2. Buy the van in the UK, take it to Seikel for conversion myself?
3. Buy the van in the UK, order the parts from Seikel and have them fitted here in the UK? (and if so, who could fit them?)

Has anyone ever dealt with, or purchased components from Seikel?
Any thoughts on warranties / UK legality (I know Seikel offer TUV aproval on individual their parts)
Would this dream vehicle actually be insurable to drive in the UK? (It would be used on and off public roads).

Lots of questions I know. Any help would be much appreciated!

In the meantime, I shall continue my research.
I hope to be able to put together a 'Rockton Expedition conversion' shopping list and cost it up, if anyone is interested.
I am curious to see quite how much VW are charging for the waterproof seats and the Rockton stickers on the side!

apologies for this long first post, and many thanks in advance for any advice you can share!

·
Banned
10,255 Posts
Interesting !

If I were you I'd be getting in touch with Seikel, as I'm sure they would be quite happy to help, and probably have the answers you need to help you decide the best way forward.

If it were me I'd be asking time frames to complete the work required (they're quite efficient these Germans) and if within a certain time frame I'd have a holiday while they completed the work.

Drive there, holiday, and drive back. Job done !

Alas though these issues would need to be discussed with Seikel I would imagine... T:

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
Firstly welcome to the forum and secondly what a great 1st postT:

Makes it unique in what your doing. Normally lowering and modding is the norm!
Like i said, very unique and please keep us posted in what you decide on doing.

Good luck,
BJ.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just seen this having looked at the seikel site myself. Rock; any update on this and what you ended up with?T:

·
Registered
61 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts