VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

Busted lower ball joint

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bournricha 
#1 ·
Hi all, I'm new here, but what has brought me here is that unfortunately my front left bottom ball joint has failed on my 2001 T4 LWB Diesel Auto :( and my front left wheel is monumentally bung. I did this while going 10kmh around a corner.

See pictures attached.
I've dragged the poor vehicle off the road, but am way out of my depth mechanically.

I'm not great mechanically, what sort of damage do you think I've done aside from the ball joint?

See less See more
#2 ·
That CV joint looks a bit dislocated. I'd take off the gaiter and check the balls haven't fallen out - replace the gaiter afterwards, you can't reliably reuse the clamp unless you can get a replacement one.

Aside from that, the upper ball joint might have had its life shortened a little but if there's no play it'll be fine. Also check the brake flexi for rubbing. Can't really see anything else that can be damaged. When it failed did it pull to one side violently? I'm curious as to how it feels when these go wrong...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.