VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello lovely people

After years of thinking about it and saving , I'm going to look at a van. 63 plate. SWB T28 Highline 42000k miles. I've been looking at various buyers guides, one says cam belt due at 40K or 4 years and another saying 60k. Should I be asking if it's been done or not?

Anything else i should be looking for? Been reading about the steering column and EGR issues.

Thanks in advance! T:

Jon

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
At 5 years old definitely a cam belt if it hasn't been done have a good read of the service history if it hasn't had recent servicing then try and get a service thrown in it should ideally have had brake fluid change recently but I cant see your going to have much else needed at 40k and 5 years old unlikely to have dmf drive shaft etc issues
Good luck bud pop up some pictures if you bring it homeT:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At 5 years old definitely a cam belt if it hasn't been done have a good read of the service history if it hasn't had recent servicing then try and get a service thrown in it should ideally have had brake fluid change recently but I cant see your going to have much else needed at 40k and 5 years old unlikely to have dmf drive shaft etc issues
Good luck bud pop up some pictures if you bring it homeT:
Thanks for the info.

It's got a FSH. And they are going to service and MOT it. I'll have a proper nose through the paperwork on the day. It looks very promising. Pretty much a blank canvas to start working on. Can't wait!

Yeah I'll put pics on
:-D
Thanks again!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just bought my 63 plate T28 Highline with 38k on the clock a few months ago. They offered to service it as part of the deal but I insisted on the cambelt and water pump being changed, they wouldn’t do it for free due the the discount that I had negotiated but I got them both changed for an extra £150. Not sure about the T5.1 specifically, but I’ve heard that generally when you change a cambelt you should always change the water pump and tensioner at the same time as the increased tension can cause it to fail...

Good luck with your purchase

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
TBH, regardless of service history/bills I would have a cam belt (& any other "associated" parts) changed as a matter of course, just for peace of mind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your comments. Never thought about the water pump. I'll let you know how it works out next week.

Thanks again! A:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it never works out the way you planned! Just put a deposit on a 63 plate Kombi Highline. 140ps Natural grey. So frickin excited! :ILU:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts