VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,i'm buying a t5 in the coming weeks..i'm just wondering what i should look out for when i'm viewing?ie;faults..

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum
Check the gearbox on the 2.5's .

Dual mass flywheels can be a pain on the 1.9 and 2.5. (check for clutch judder)

1.9's also have a cambelt so make sure thats changed or has been if over 60k. (think 60k is correct)

2.5 no cambelt.
1.9 has 2 different powers, 85bhp and 104bhp
2.5 has 2 different powers, 130bhp and a 174bhp.

Both are good engine IMO but prefer the 1.9 a tad more due to parts be cheaper (secondhand) and a bit more easy to work on than the 2.5. Saying that i have a 2.5 at the moment, But just always have a feeling that if something goes wrong it may cost more and be a bit more of a pain of a job to do.

Hope the above helps a little, Thanks Andy T:

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
hi, get vag com done on it and check for any codes coming up on it, did it with mine and came up with over boost exceeded T:

·
BMW? You gotta be serious!
13,223 Posts
vag com is a diag plug in, it reads fault codes, cheaper version of what the dealers use T:

·
Registered
561 Posts
vag com is a diag plug in, it reads fault codes, cheaper version of what the dealers use T:
so is a dealer 'diag check' that much more expensive or are they not allowed to give out the results?

non-diag stuff: My jerky drive take up is a little concerning - can you tell me what the standard check is for the drive shaft spline wear? Is it something I can verify?

thx

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi there
There might be a friends T5 2.5TDI swb 56 plate coming up for sale. alot of money already spent on it. Probably in the region of 12k

1 - 7 of 7 Posts