VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
apologies if this has been covered before, did a search but went cross eyed!

I have owned a 1.9TD in the past, was converted but sadly had to sell due to the onset of old age in the engine!
I have found a t4 2.5TDi with windows in yellow which seems in good condition, going to have a look at it on Sunday.

Unfortunately it's in London, inside the LEZ which I gather is why it is for sale in the first place. I have not intention whatsoever of coming back to London once outside the LEZ, but that brings me to my next question.

Do I really have to pay the £100 for a 20 minute trip to the outer boundary? if so I suppose it's just another thing to negotiate with, I would however not like to take any risk of a large fine!

That being said, rather exited at the prospect of owning another T4!T:

Cheers

Simon

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Ask the seller where the cameras are and avoid driving past them! :* Stick to side streets etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
many thanks thought that may be the answer.
I think it may just be safer to pay it and never return, muttering under my breath and scowling heavily at all the signs!

Heres hoping the van is what he says it is as us New Foresters get scared when we leave the cattle grids :)

·
Want Electrics? Go Wildebus!
8,251 Posts
I doubt very much there are enough suitable side streets to allow a drive from inside the LEZ to outside without the vehicle being recorded.
A more plausible and more legal way could be to tow it to outside the zone. Put a tow rope between the van and the vehicle you went up in, and an "on tow" sign on the back window and just drive it away :)

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Yes £100 per day and by reputation they chase hard with nasty fines
Cameras on all entry/exit roads and within the zone
Check registration on TFL web site as above.

Contact LEZ and ask, open till 22:00 http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-emission-zone/contact-lez

Ask seller if its been driven on the day, good reason to split the fee.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes £100 per day and by reputation they chase hard with nasty fines
Cameras on all entry/exit roads and within the zone
Check registration on TFL web site as above.

Contact LEZ and ask, open till 22:00 http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/low-emission-zone/contact-lez

Ask seller if its been driven on the day, good reason to split the fee.
As above, but I'm sure there's a hefty fine if its not paid by midnight the next day. Would have thought it was ok I'm sure the last change was in 2012?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks chaps, 1999 2.5 Tdi checked the site and it is liable for LEZ charges unfortunately, I think I just need to accept the fact that i will have to pay the fee and accept it as a cost of purchase. That being said I'll have to just walk if I get concerned at all.

Thanks for the advice chaps

Simon

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Do like half the people that live there do bit of rubbish stuck on plate or like the eastern European trucks bit of cardboard stuck over it works wonders

·
Registered
687 Posts
My mate and i drove straight into it on a main A- road by accident when we were lost, it was a non complient van and would no doubt have been caught on camera, we were expecting the dreaded letter through the post however nothing arrived :*

·
Registered
199 Posts
Go to a garage local to the vans location and offer them a few quid for one of their chaps to follow you out of the zone whilst you have their trade plates fitted.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Go with cash, offer them £50 off so splitting the charge.. If they are serious, they will; know the issue and meet you in the middle... Failing that cover the plates and drive fast ;)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Do you have breakdown cover?

A little bit of "maintenance" & they will have to tow you home!
(Save you a few quid in fuel as well!)

Gotta love a win - win situation! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks guys, bought the van, the guy looked gutted when I drove it away! Engine and gearbox solid, though a bit of wiggling to get it into 5th required, may have a look under the van. He had fitted the rear plastics and 3 way seat from a caravelle, but just pondering whether to pull it all out and start again with a ply lining kit.. will repost in the interior section, anyway, many thanks!

Simon the yellow van man

1 - 19 of 19 Posts