VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone. This is my first post on your forum, so be gentle! I live in Sweden and am looking to buy my first LWB T5 panel van to convert into a camper. (I know.....another one!!) I've seen a 2011 T5 2.0 TDi (102hp) which has done 74000 miles and Co2 of 198g for equivalent of about £9,500. I've read that the cambelt should be changed around every 60000 miles or every 4 years. Is this correct, and should I expect this vehicle to have had the work already done. Also do you think a 102hp will have enough umph to cope with being driven around as a camper. The Swedes are fairly heavy on road tax for certain vehicles, so I need to keep the Co2 levels and fuel efficiency as low as I can afford (around £10,000). Also, are there any other possible problems I should be looking out for with this mileage (gearbox, clutch, bearings etc)?
Your help and advice would be much appreciated everyone.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
VW are cheats when it comes to that I:
& other manufactures are not ! VW were simply the ones who got caught.

All this emmissions stuff is a load of rubbish - in 20 years time they will be telling us that they got it wrong (again) & adBlu is the bogey.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the Co2 amount makes a difference here in Sweden as a T5 with Co2 of 193g costs about £510 a year in road tax. Whereas if it is 230g or higher then the road tax is set at around £800 a year! I was mainly interested to see if anyone knew what was a good mileage for a T5 LWB, taking into account any maintenance which may be due or which should have been done.
Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
178 Posts
From my limited experience with a 2.4l T4 and then a 2.5 T5 I think a LWB with 102hp may feel underpowered once it is converted to a camper - conversion adds quite a lot of weight. My T5 Kombi (not camper-converted) is 130hp & has plenty of power even when loaded, so my guess is you dont have to go mad if you have the engine remapped to give power. Best ask re-map companies the effect on CO2 (and therefore road-tax in Sweden).
I'm surprised no-one has answered your questions about mileage & maintenance. 74,000 is a bit high for a 2011 vehicle but not too bad. More important is how the van has been serviced & maintained, & to check you have to see the service booklet and Swedish equivalent of the UK MOT paperwork (here, this includes advice on what work will be necessary before the next annual MOT). The service booklet lists the various maintenance needed at mileage & time intervals, so if you insist on the seller giving you time to sit and study it you'll see what has been done or missed- e.g. cam drive belt at 60,000 miles. If the service schedule booklet doesnt have the garage's stamp on each service carried out, or the seller doesnt have receipts for each service, forget it. If the seller doesnt have the service booklet or seems shifty, forget it. Personally check all electrics like windows, central locking.
Also, how many owners? & try to get an idea how has the van been used (signs of hard use, bodywork repair).
Best of all, dont rush, look at lots of T5s (even if some are out of your price range) & compare. If you have doubts, don't ignore them. No van is better than a bad van.
Good luck with it!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
& other manufactures are not ! VW were simply the ones who got caught.

All this emmissions stuff is a load of rubbish - in 20 years time they will be telling us that they got it wrong (again) & adBlu is the bogey.
Surly spraying pigs into you exhaust is the answer?? I:I:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought my 2011 Lwb 102 shuttle 2.0 tdi a year ago with 61k on the clock and had the cambelt and waterpump done (around £300) as it was about time. It was lacking in power slightly for my needs but equally you could get by with it until you had money for a remap. I had mine remapped and it is fine now. Done 10k since and it has been fine. Only thing I had to change over the year was a wheel bearing... I waited for a 140 in my price range for a long time but a remapped 102 has been excellent choice for me... as others have said check history and number of owners and take it for a test drive...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks 4pointers for your great advice. Yes I was thinking the mileage seemed a little on the high side but then again the distances from place to place here are a lot more vast than in England. Anyway, sound advice and thanks again. I'll update when I have tried a few T5's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought my 2011 Lwb 102 shuttle 2.0 tdi a year ago with 61k on the clock and had the cambelt and waterpump done (around £300) as it was about time. It was lacking in power slightly for my needs but equally you could get by with it until you had money for a remap. I had mine remapped and it is fine now. Done 10k since and it has been fine. Only thing I had to change over the year was a wheel bearing... I waited for a 140 in my price range for a long time but a remapped 102 has been excellent choice for me... as others have said check history and number of owners and take it for a test drive...
Thanks for that. Just wondering is your van 5 or 6 speed gearbox. Does remapping work ok on 5 speed gearboxes?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Mine is 5 speed. Many do say to go for 6 speed but I waited so long for one in budget that I just went for my 5 speed. It has been fine for me. When I bought it, it also came with 20 inch wheels which would put further strain on the engine, and because I knew I would be driving around the alps a remap was beneficial. If you concerned about gearbox then look for telltale signs of wear which others on here are more educated to describe than me. A search will find you information. Remember you will always find people with horror stories, or having an opinion on the best vehicle. Ultimately if you love the van and you have done the right checks, and looked at the history, then go for it....

I always keep some budget for repairs / alterations, rather than use full budget for the vehicle as there will always be something you want to do on it..

Have fun with the van!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts