VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I am considering buying my first T4 but i am nervous about spending any money on such an old van but its all i can afford at the moment. My concerns are am i just buying something unreliable because of its age and are they bad for rusting? what are the most common faults. TIA

·
Registered
831 Posts
Overall the t4 is a proven reliable van. Just have look around to see how many are still around. However be prepared to spend money to keep well maintained and yes they do rust.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I am considering buying my first T4 but i am nervous about spending any money on such an old van but its all i can afford at the moment. My concerns are am i just buying something unreliable because of its age and are they bad for rusting? what are the most common faults
with all respect, you highlight 'old', 'unreliable' and 'rust' and hint at little budget for sorting these issues:rolleyes:

remember, t4's drive like a van that was designed in the early 1980's and of the lower pricetag so they are not the most comfortable (seats & suspension / ride quality)

maybe an old vw is not the vehicle for you(y)

be prepared to spend money to keep well maintained and yes they do rust.
+1(y)

but....

Should be...

be prepared to spend money to keep well maintained and Rectify previous owners bodge-repairs & cost-cutting o_O
Rust is a big thing with t4's & 1990's vw's, anyone that tells you otherwise is either blind, lucky or has an agenda...

beware of fresh paint & whats hidden behind,

theres some sensibally priced t4's out there (especially inside sad-iq's tax/congestion zone) but most are overpriced & then have 'scene-tax' added on that!
newest t4 is ~17 years old, oldest is ~29
whole economies have been built on helping t4 owners part with money, consider purchases before spnding...

on the plus side, theres a lot of knowledge around fr t4 issues & problems, parts are generally in good supply but check prices:unsure:

Rich. (harbinger of Doom)

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Now is a really good time to get a T4, there are loads on Evilbay for really good prices. Sadly with the current lockdown nearly all of them will need to be paid for and then delivered to you. The vendors though will always have a delivery service that will deliver to your door and often at their cost too. Whats not to like??

Should you part with your hard earned for one of these you can pretty much guarantee you will not spend a penny on rust repairs for this van, neither will it ever break down (while you are driving it), finding somewhere to park will never be a problem, you will spend next to nothing on running it. It will be almost like it didn't exist, though of course it must, there are all those lovely photos on evilbay. If you buy, you will also be in very good company, there was probably an identical van sold on the other side of the country last week, and the week before, just keep watching evilbay and another identical van will pop up next week...

Rhys

·
Registered
425 Posts
Soooo true I was watching a merc dualiner 3.0tdi auto as I’m looking , due to wearing fecked knees, Bus was up for £8k in ‘Scotland‘ the genuine seller , then a few days later it was ‘cloned’ and up for £4K in london !bargain they will deliver as well save me the hassle 🤔🤫

1 - 5 of 5 Posts