VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a van for a while and really can't get away from looking at T4's. Found a T4 2.5 175k miles (MOT runs out next month) from a really nice genuine seller (old works van) who was honest about the faults. Faults are the normal rusting spots , including rusted through on the roller door step (picture attached) . Has a replacement step in the van ready to go though . And the rust has slightly gone through on a for we of a wheel arch . He did mention there was a slight coolant leak and very light crunching when changing gears but has been like that for a couple years no issue .
I want a small project to make into a camper and thought i would see if anyone thinks this is a good idea or not as I'm not too familiar with them .
He wants around 2,500 to 3,000 for it .
Thanks,
George

·
Registered
190 Posts
Generally speaking (on all vehicles in that price range, you will spend significant amounts fixing the rust, and possibly more than you paid for the vehicle.

I would look for a cleaner van than that personally.

Mechanical issues are easier generally speaking.

·
Registered
rusty heap ('95 t4)
2,789 Posts
all t4's are rusty, some have not started to show it yet...
newest is ~17 years old & oldest are ~19?
but, some 2003 t4's are rotten & some 1991 t4's are cleano_O
my experience(as a weldist) makes me avoid '96='97/ n,p & r reg as they can be doomed:whistle:

look for rust, decent welding is expensive & takes time, paint is realy expensive.
then look again for rust.......

mecanical work is easy in comparison but beware of gearboxes, these can fail quite dramatically!
t4's have 2 main types (02b & 02g) with the more common 02b suffering from bearing failure that can cause the whole gearbox to be scrap.

at the end of the day it's your money but 2.5-3K for no mot & needing welding as well as mecanical - I'd say avoid(y)

Rich.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks alot for your replies, had confirmed what I was thinking really . will keep on looking then hopefully the right one pops up, with a few less problems .
Thanks again
George

1 - 4 of 4 Posts