VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot depends on service history and type of miles etc.. etc..
But how long if looked after will the engine likely go for? my T4 which i'll be p/x ing is at 202000 and still going strong
Got a few vans in my sights ranging from 100k to 130k the 130k is newer - 07 but the 100 is 04 plate..
Any advice / things to be aware of?

Thanks!

·
Registered
606 Posts
I used to worry about mileage and the dreaded 100,000 mark. That is until earlier this week I got into a van transfering me from the airport, I happened to glance at the mileage which said 214,000 miles... :)

It seemed to run fine, definitely not knackered, still comfy T:

Does the 2007 van have the canbus system with the later model updates, new steering wheel etc? this might influence your decision

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea, im completely new to T5's
I have had a read of the T5 wiki page, but it didnt have any details about changes at 07
I have however just found out that the 07 van is the 85ps and im only interested in the 102, so that rules it out now, but i am still looking around, so interested in any tips etc..

I used to worry about mileage and the dreaded 100,000 mark. That is until earlier this week I got into a van transfering me from the airport, I happened to glance at the mileage which said 214,000 miles... :)

It seemed to run fine, definitely not knackered, still comfy T:

Does the 2007 van have the canbus system with the later model updates, new steering wheel etc? this might influence your decision

·
Cornwall Massive
2,838 Posts
2007-on seems to have some of the early problems more sorted out... As you say, Service history and condition are absolutely key - if it looks unloved, it probably was... :ILU:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Take a look at the steering wheel to see if it was a later model, the early vans had the old golf mk4 type wheels with rounded spokes, the later T5 have the squarer spokes and different shape airbag from the later Passat.

Personaly I try and stay away from the first year of production for any car, after a year or so manufacturers have sorted out the teething problems.

·
Registered
371 Posts
The answer to this question depends on what budget you have and what model you are going for. In my case I wanted a Caravelle for the spec they come with, however as we all know a low mileage one of those is going to set you back a lot. So I have just bought one with 250k on the clock, it drives like a lot less, has the 2.5l engine which is much stronger than the 1.9 with less problems, and the price I paid allows for engine repairs some time in the future if required.

·
offside customs
1,818 Posts
ill have one 2 nd week in feb 57 plate fsh vw 165 to 180 on clock will be very clean 6.5k

·
offside customs
1,818 Posts
you should have been lookin last week you could have had a massive bargain m8.
youll have to wait till i get the phone call to pick up, you have first dibs .l

·
Yellow van man
933 Posts
The advice I was given was buy the newest with the lowest mileage you can afford. I ended up paying £6900 for an 06 ex AA 1.9 with 71k on the clock. It needs some tarting up and all the gash wiring taking out, as well as the Sortimo toolbox, but it has been serviced regularly and drives as well as the 2010 hire van I had before xmas.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The advice I was given was buy the newest with the lowest mileage you can afford. I ended up paying £6900 for an 06 ex AA 1.9 with 71k on the clock. It needs some tarting up and all the gash wiring taking out, as well as the Sortimo toolbox, but it has been serviced regularly and drives as well as the 2010 hire van I had before xmas.
Always double the mileage on ex AA vehicles.. They spend all there lifes running on idle. This is not good for the PD engines and speeds up cam lobe wear etc.... I:

·
Yellow van man
933 Posts
Always double the mileage on ex AA vehicles.. They spend all there lifes running on idle. This is not good for the PD engines and speeds up cam lobe wear etc.... I:
I've heard that but understand that it is idling from cold that does more damage. Either way I will be having the camshaft inspected at the next service for signs of uneven wear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts