VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all.

I decided to remove the standard PVC floor mat from the cabin of my Ex AA T4 yesterday. I was planning on keeping it, but it was absolutley filthy, and going rather mouldy underneath too. When I found a few tears in it, that was it, bin job!

Anyway, the Van is ridiculously noisey driving around at town speeds now, although not too bad at dual carriageway/motorway speeds. I need to replace the mat with something though, and I was wondering what people have done in the past?

I was wondering about carpet, but I think this is going to be a bit of a dirt and sand magnet for when I have been down to the beach, so I'm leaning towards something that can be swept/wiped clean. Has anyone fitted something like the lino you can get in flooring stores? If so, what did you put under it, to stop all the lumps and bumps of the floor panel showing through?

Any other ideas/pictures?

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
For the sound reduction I used flashing tape from Toolstation. 2 layers of it improved the sound deadening.

Then I fitted a 2nd hand Caravelle cab mat carpet that I bought from Simon (ColeseT4) on here. Over that I fitted a cab mat from "Megavanmats" (£23) which I then remove and hoover when needed.

Granted not just a sweep clean like you mentioned but having a removeable mat does make the job easy.

By the way, if you had mould under there it implies a bit of damp. So might be worth going through the car wash or hosing the van down thoroughly while there's no mats in there and see if you've got a leaky windscreen (common fault).

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good idea. I wasn't sure if something had been spilt in there before I got the van, or wether water was getting in somewhere. The underside of the PVC mat was a bit damp in places now I think about it...

Cheers
Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts