VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MY LONG TIME TRUSTED CADDY GAVE UP ON ME ONE MORNING ON ROUTE TO WORK WITH A KNACKERED DIESEL PUMP, SO SHOPPED AROUND AND GOT QUOTES OF £500 JUST FOR THE PUMP THEN IT WILL NEED CALABRATING , CADDY IS ONLY A 52 REG WITH NO ROTT SO TO GOOD TO SCRAP :* THEN I WAS OFFERED A BELINGO FOR £ 200 WITH 6 MONTHS MOT AND TAX SO DECIDED TO GO TO THE DARK SIDE AND RUN A FRENCH BANGER, SO DECIDED TO MAKE A TRAILER,

IM A BIT SHORT OF ROOM SO DECIDED TO CUT IT AND SCRAP WOT I DONT NEED THEN I CAN SIT ON THE BACK END UNTILL WARMER TIMES < THIS WAS BACK IN MARCH >

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

COULD HAVE GONE A DIFFERENT WAY FROM HERE AND MADE A LIMO !

MY BOYS CERTAINLY GOT SOME LOOKS DRIVING THIS ON THE DRIVE

TIME TO WEIGH IT IN THE NEIGHBOURS WERE NOT IMPRESSED AFTER A WEEK OF SCRAP OUT THE FRONT

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WHAT WAS LEFT WAS PUT IN THE CORNER OF THE GARDEN AND FORGOT ABOUT FOR A FEW MONTHS WITH OTHER THINGS TO PLAY WITH,
THEN AUGUST CAME THE MRS WAS MOANING ABOUT THE SCRAP ! IN HER GARDEN AND WE WERE GOING ON HOLIDAY IN 4 WEEKS SO DECIDED TO TRY AND DO SOMETHING WITH IT TAKE IT WALES AND THEN VANFEST SORRY BUSFEST ON WAY HOME

A SUITABLE CARAVAN CHASSIS PURCHASED AND STRIPPED

BOLTED ON AND WELDED FOR GOOD MEASURE
THEN AS I WANTED A LITTLE BIT OF AERODYNAMICS AND NOT A FLAT FRONT I DECIDED TO FIRST DO TRIAL AND ERROR WITH A WOODEN MOCKUP FIRST ON A METAL BTM

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

SOMETHING LIKE WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR AND NOW WITH ONLY A COUPLE OF WEEKS TILL THE HOLIDAY :( I DECIDE I AINT GOT TIME TO COPY IN METAL SO SCREWED BOLTED AND STUCK THE NOSE ON AND GAVE IT A COAT OF PAINT WIRE UP THE LIGHTS AND TOW IT AROUND THE BLOCK
A:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I WAS A BIT DUBIOUS OF HOW BOUNCY IT COULD BE SO I FITTED A STABILIZER FOR PEICE OF MIND AND WAS SUPRISED OF HOW WELL IT TOWS TOOK IT TO SHELL ISLAND WALES IN LATE AUGUST AND WAS OVERTAKING CARAVANS ALL THE WAY IT EVEN DID 75 AT ONE POINT AND STAYED STABLE, FULL OF GARDEN BBQ BIKES AND ALL OTHER RUBBISH WE DIDNT REALLY NEED

TOWED IT TO BUSFEST ON THE WAY HOME AND MANAGED JUST SHORT OF 600 MILES ON ONE TANK OF DIESEL NOT BAD I JUST NEED TO REDO IT AGAIN NOW IN METAL AND DECIDE WOT COLOUR TO HAVE IT OVER THE WINTER MONTHS :*

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
Had ours for a while now and would recommend flipping the rear axle to lower it. Makes it lower obviously but it tucks in behind our t5 lovely and as its lower is less wobblyT: Easier to load too

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks kev but dont worry i wont be dragging it to germany nxt year I: And battlebus it was your brilliant trailer that gave me the idea, i was going to flip it but i have took the trailer chassis past the axel so would have to cut the btm of it out now , it does tow very well and sits level with the t5 and the t2 so have decided to leave it as is for the time being, i was disapointed that i was the only cad trailer at vanfest this year:* are there going to be others at shows nxt year A:

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
thanks kev but dont worry i wont be dragging it to germany nxt year I: And battlebus it was your brilliant trailer that gave me the idea, i was going to flip it but i have took the trailer chassis past the axel so would have to cut the btm of it out now , it does tow very well and sits level with the t5 and the t2 so have decided to leave it as is for the time being, i was disapointed that i was the only cad trailer at vanfest this year:* are there going to be others at shows nxt year A:
Dont take mine to vanfest/busfest cos its miles and we go to this one without family:D Its a crate of beer and spare pants instead of the usual circus so i wouldnt have anything to put in itT:

However, it will be about next year more and i even fitted a towbar to my caddy so i can tow it with thatT:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JUST CHANGED THE OIL IN THE VAN AND NOT TO POLLUTE THE PLANET DECIDED TO RECYCLE IT AND SPRAY UNDER THE CAD TRAILER TO PRESERVE IT,A: CILLS FULL AND HAS BEEN DRIPPING NOW FOR A FEW DAYS!I:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AFTER RUSHING TO GET THE TRAILER USABLE FOR LAST YEARS HOLIDAY AND THEN VANFEST IVE FINALLY MANAGED TO REDO IT AGAIN IN STEEL THIS TIME AND NOT WOOD,

AND AFTER WEEKS OF GRINDING FILLING RUBBING AND FILLING AND RUBBING

IVE FINALLY JUST GOT IT BACK FROM THE SPRAYERS

SO A BIT MORE PLAYING AND IT WILL BE READY FOR CAMPERJAM !!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

its even got an exhaust, after towing it all around the isle of wight then to devon and home mainly in the dark ive realised it needs some marker lights as you cant see it and i kept forgetting it was there, going 70 to 75 down the dark roads could have been the end of it !

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Looks amazing but would flip the axle if it were mine, would affect the load capability but would sit better behind your van. Mint set uo tho bud! :ILU:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts