VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2K Caddy which I use for lugging mountain bikes about and I'm thinking about kitting it out as a day van.
I like the idea of having a bed in the back to use for the odd overnighter no and again, I'd need to remove the bulkhead so I'd be able to fit in it length-ways and I'd like the bed to be easily removable to use it as a normal van again.

Has anyone done this with their Caddy?

Any problems with it?

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
i think any bed you put in will be a pain to pull in and out the van to be honest,, ive got a caddy maxi kited out as camper and wouldnt like to keep taking the bed out and putting it back in again even with some type of quick release foot system.......
might be best to just carpet the rear out and have a 3 inch matress on the floor when your sleeping...

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've got a 2K Caddy which I use for lugging mountain bikes about and I'm thinking about kitting it out as a day van.
I like the idea of having a bed in the back to use for the odd overnighter no and again, I'd need to remove the bulkhead so I'd be able to fit in it length-ways and I'd like the bed to be easily removable to use it as a normal van again.

Has anyone done this with their Caddy?

Any problems with it?
We've fitted a full width bed into a caddy, it fitted between the wheelarches (can't go over the arches as it will encroach on head room). If you wanted could have captive nuts underneath undo bolts and lift out. If there's two of you (which you'd need) it shouldn't be too bad to remove T:

If you want pm me tomorrow and I can give you rough measurements if I can find them on the works computer :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Is there a way you could mount boards on hinges at the side of the van, which then fold down to make a bed base?
Maybe some kind of boxed in seat each side that the boards could lay on when folded down? I appreciate you would need some kind of central support too. Maybe you could store bedding in during the day, then the foam on top gets rearranged into a mattress?
Would doing this leave you enough central space to utilise the van without removing?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Is there a way you could mount boards on hinges at the side of the van, which then fold down to make a bed base?
Maybe some kind of boxed in seat each side that the boards could lay on when folded down? I appreciate you would need some kind of central support too. Maybe you could store bedding in during the day, then the foam on top gets rearranged into a mattress?
Would doing this leave you enough central space to utilise the van without removing?
Pretty much anything you want to do can be done within reason :) only advantage is you can carry people on a well made r n r bed as opposed to folding parts :)

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
Pretty much anything you want to do can be done within reason :) only advantage is you can carry people on a well made r n r bed as opposed to folding parts :)
can you now...? im not sure if you had an accident in a van that involved the police and insurance they would see it the same way as you my friend...:*
crash / pull tested beds are out there ( none for a caddy ) but you can retro fit the crew van or even touran seats in a caddy that are tested and insurance approved.....
but the way i see it is its statement like yours that get people in all sorts of trouble and injured its not the 1970s where you can just bolt in what you please to carry people around...:*

1 - 7 of 7 Posts