VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've had loads on inspiration off this forum so thought I'd post up as I go with my maxi conversion. I'm doing a simple conversion and the van still needs to be, well a van! Camper just for the weekends...

So far got a bargain on a 2011 Maxi, got side windows and a twin back seat fitted by Fast Fit and doing the rest myself.

First jobs are insulation and carpeting the sides. The layout is a bit undecided still. The plans were set until today and changed our minds (again).

Today: removing the ply lining and working out how much insulation is needed. Then realised I need to fit the towbar electrics before cramming the insulation in, so ordered that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep... Shetland. Dashed down to London to pick up the van the other week (bro lives there so not as mad as it seems).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey.. I'm in shetland on the westside and have done a lot of work on my own van regarding insulating,plylining and carpeting... Most recently had it painted... message me here if you ever want a look or think i could give some advice..

cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice one, thanks. I'm up in Eshaness. If I need any tips I'll give you a shout. Towbar, insulation, carpet, electrics, lights and other goodies all in the post. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's been a bit of a slower start than I'd hoped! Too much else going on! So far I've installed a new towbar and electrics, roof rack (2nd hand rhino). Now starting on the actual conversion, but it's tricky not having a garage and being in the middle of Shetland winter...

Insulated and refitted ply in the floor. Just used foil-backed foam underlay for this. I'll add a lino floor on top eventually. Then crammed a full roll of earthwool into the cavities and doors, and half way through putting alli foil on all the "single skin" bits. I'm not reusing the roof lining as I was intending as removing it adds a very welcome 1" head room.

Also fitted some of the electrics. I haven't got a battery yet (will go under passenger seat) but have pre-wired it all ready. In the back I'm having twin multi-led lights (turned on in photo) and 2 single LED lights as low level background lighting on separate switches.

Taking out the bulkhead left a hole in the back of the centre console (presumably for ash tray in combi/life models) so ordered a stainless switch / battery monitor / 12v socket panel off ebay. Very good quality but had to make a surround to get it to fit. I also added a push switch so that the battery voltage only shows when pressed to save power and also as it's quite bright for sleeping. Looks smarter in real life than the photo!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Managed to get the lining in on the last few days. Having taken the roof lining out I realised how much extra headroom there was so have just insulated and installed carpet directly. I concealed the lights in the horizontal strengthening ribs running across the roof using existing holes.

Lining isn't perfect but not too bad for a first effort! The carpet was much lighter than I had thought, but at least feels nice and bright in there. All the lower down bits will be covered with wood so the lining won't get dirty too quickly!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finished the sides today. They're the main storage and will have hinged tops on them. Used 1x1" for the frame and 4mm ply on the sides to keep the weight down.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Looking good!

Watching with a keen interest as my OH is about to pick up a Caddy and we're thinking about how to design the interior.

Carpeting the roof directly is definitely the right choice with the limited headroom. I'm starting to wonder whether I should have done it on my T4 as well...

I see that you've carpeted the rear upper voids directly as well. Did it have a panel over the voids originally? I like the space it creates but we want to mount a TV and storage pockets to the wall so having something to screw into would be useful.

What are your plans for a bed?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Glad you like it. The back was ply lined but there were no panels on the window recesses. I put a layer of rubber for sound deadening (EPDM I had lying around), and foil insulation then carpet onto that. There is a rib in the middle to attach to but you need to be careful screwing through as I just found out! Oops. I have just finished making the side pockets. They're not massive but they do give me a good straight edge of wood to screw hinges to.

The bed will be a removable box about 105x55cmx35cm. It will be big enough to fit the 4 cushions in and so I can store in the shed when not used as a camper. The top of the box will fold out 55+35cm to reach the double seat and rest on that, and on side rails along sides in the photo above. Hoping to have that finished this week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tops added today. Very fiddly, especially getting the magnetic catches located right! I used MDF as had it lying around but may replace it with pineboard eventually. Primed white for now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's the bed box finished now. The design changed a bit, but basically a 108x55x34cm box with ply lid (110cm wide) and second hinged section. There's a 3rd small hinged flap. A small section clips on to complete the bed and is suspended from the front seat for support. This isn't perfect though, so I'll look at other options. This bit doubles as a table which slots into the side. The box opens from the inside with the bed up for access to storage. Bed size is about 2m x 1.1m.

The box can also be opened right out through the back door and rests on the towbar to make an outdoor cooking area.

I've not bought the foam yet, just using 2 old cot mattresses and a climbing crash pad I have. Eventually will buy 4x 100x55cm pieces of foam, that when not in use will fit inside the box for storage.

Off to test it in the highlands in 10 days so will no doubt be some mods once I try it out!

Here's some pics:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, it'll stay as wood, but probably paint it or something. Got a dog and using it as a work van so need it easy to clean. Obviously will make proper covers once I get the foam, and there are panels to go over the insulation on the side doors. I will carpet the side and back doors if I have some spare cash sometime.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts