VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought this caddy, hacked in half with the intention of making a trailer, you may remember it as scrap at T4fest 09. Got it home and it sat in a mates yard for a bit til we moved and i got my garage :D

This is where we pick it up, It was a pup, many were cynical about its getting done and indeed if it did, looking , well, ! SO here is how it got done, in case you want to do one I:

Took the tank and stuff off.
As i got it, plasma cut was a bit rough so needed to do some tidying but gave me some material to play with.

Poked the chassis under before i had trimmed it

Welding it in position

Then trimmed the front, made a floor for the nose cone bit and then made it in sections with return seems for strength.

Three more panels to close the top and it was done.

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wheels are Passat 15" steels, bought new and sent to Jamesp in slough for banding, with the resulting 8.5j loveliness having a low offset, the poke is spot on :D

So it was ready to go to Vanwest, or so i thought. The problem was Emma was struggling to see the asthetic appeal or in her words, you are not towing that heap to Vanwest, get it painted! :*

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And so it came to pass, rat was out, tinted some high build and threw it over the whole thing to get to going, at this stage i wasn't entirely sure it would even tow well so this was the test bed phase.

So we loaded it with a few items, travelling light obviously, to see how it worked

Turns out, it towed like a dream, it held together and was pressed into service for the summer 8)

Even got it to france with a few mates :D

And it proved to be very handy

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got to thinkin about colour and some antics at Oktoberfest 10 made up my mind, so in it went for the few bits i missed to be prepped.

Paint was ordered and arrived, 2 litres, 2 pack, not 2 sure :-|

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Masked and ready to go after a last tickle off once the spots of primer had cured.

Now the fun bit, it was 4 on thursday, needed to be home by 5 to take little to gym, my mate and owner of Bw coachworks Wayne got to work and i was demoted to mixing the paint for speed!

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two coats done, feeling the colour now:cool:

Left it in the booth overnight and it flowed out like glass! really pleased and only the slightest run in the usual places!

All fitted up and stashed home for a bit before stage two, not finished but loving the colour!

·
Super Moderator
3,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next thought was the a frame and came up with a plan, first, salvage some aluminium chequer plate, trim it up a bit.

Once i got the shape, off it went to the powdercoater, well not on its own, i took it really, be back friday I:
Anyway, once that was done, out came the rattlecan, ghetto blackT:

Not sure i will put the flag mast on yet, still thinking on that one.

·
Its about time I showed up
11,653 Posts
Said it before but i bloomin love this A: Such a cool trailer and the new colour is spot on T:

I want one too :ILU:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Quality build thread CrawfT:.
Picked up my caravan chassic on sat. Finnished fitting towbar and electrics tonight:D.Hopfully crazy work mate will pop by over the next few weekends lending a hand in time for maden voyage to lobbs I:

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
What a fantastic idea and its great that the idea was carried through to the end and what a result.

Deffo one to keep an eye out for if your a keen T-Spotter

1 - 20 of 117 Posts