VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's previous posts on this forum about underslung CAK tanks with many saying they were pretty good. But now we're a few years down the line I wondered if those opinions still stood an they lasted the test of time.
I have a slim conversion and struggling for water tank storage space so this could be a nice option for me.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,761 Posts
They supply to professional installers - IIRC both Autosleepers and Bilbos use their products, so I doubt there is anything wrong with them. The only instances of failure that I've seen have been where the tank has been installed on a support that does not last (i.e. using a cheap non-waterproof ply instead of WBP or marine grade) - but that's the fault of the installer, not the maker of the tank.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Had ours (underslung waste and water) for 18 months without any issues. Used the provided fitting kit although they come as bare steel so I painted it all with zinc primer before fitting.

If I had to be picky, I'd say the only thing I don't like about them is the lack of provision for a level sensor but we cope OK without... when the tap stops pumping water the water tank needs filling and when the sink stops draining the waste tank needs emptying ! I have a DIY control panel that monitors everything in the van and it would have been nice to have an easy way to monitor it. The normal sensors can't be fitted to an underslung tank as there is no room between the top of the tank and the floor of the van.

If you order online make sure everything you ordered is there, I've had around a 50% failure rate on orders where parts are missing or they sent the wrong part. They sort it out after a phone call but bloody annoying if you wait until you're ready to install and then find a connector is missing so you have to wait for them to send it on, leaving the job half done.

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Useful information thank you. I have 4mo so looking at the step and skirt tanks, I'm guessing I'd be as well just removing the plastic guards under the van? I also have side bars so I'm unsure if/how that would work.

·
Special Rapporteur
9,761 Posts
You may find it's not possible to retain the plastic panels on the offside, but I would try to keep as much as you can. They cover over some pieces of equipment that would otherwise be in the line of fire from stones thrown up by the front tyres - for example the aux coolant pump is under the nearside panel on some models. And if a diesel heater is fitted it's not uncommon to have the fuel pump for that fitted between undertray and floor.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Useful information thank you. I have 4mo so looking at the step and skirt tanks, I'm guessing I'd be as well just removing the plastic guards under the van? I also have side bars so I'm unsure if/how that would work.
Side bars shouldn't make a difference.

The plastic covers can be retained but you do need to trim them around the tanks, I tried to keep as much cover as possible on mine for protection.

Be aware that, if you have a diesel heater fitted under the driver's seat or mounted under the van in that spot, you can't use the forward sill tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts