VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've read a few threads on the spring subject and am still a little confused, and I'm sure a lot of us newbies are. So my questions are:

1) Do the Calibra springs drop the same height as Cavalier springs?
1a) Are either the Calibra/Cavalier springs ok when carrying, say, 500kg in the back (windsurf stuff + camper)

2) Is there a huge difference between dedicated T4 -80mm and -60mm springs (apart from 20mm!) like the ride quality, mechanical problems etc (I'm running 14" steelies with a sidewall the size of a small continent!)

Any help guys, appreciated

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Ok, I've read a few threads on the spring subject and am still a little confused, and I'm sure a lot of us newbies are. So my questions are:

1a) Are either the Calibra/Cavalier springs ok when carrying, say, 500kg in the back (windsurf stuff + camper)

2) Is there a huge difference between dedicated T4 -80mm and -60mm springs (apart from 20mm!) like the ride quality, mechanical problems etc (I'm running 14" steelies with a sidewall the size of a small continent!)

Think you would be better off running lowered springs for a T4 as they have been designed to carry 'weight' unlike cavalier/calibra springs etc.
Just my opinion though T:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts

Springs for calibra/cavalier are the same Kate, both will drop you approx 120mm from standard.
As for carrying weight , no not really, if you get some nice stiff dampers on there it will help to keep things under control a bit more.
As 1 dub says if you want load carrying capability stick to a decent 60mm spring as this will sit approx 80mm once loaded up.
Gaz.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Does anyone know if if Calibra / Cavalier springs are suitable WITHOUT changing the shocks too?

Just a straight spring swap i mean

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Does anyone know if if Calibra / Cavalier springs are suitable WITHOUT changing the shocks too?

Just a straight spring swap i mean
You can get away with it for a while bud but the standard dampers will give out as they are working way out of their normal range,all depends what sort of condition they are in as to how long they last.
Gaz.

·
Registered
687 Posts
You can get away with it for a while bud but the standard dampers will give out as they are working way out of their normal range,all depends what sort of condition they are in as to how long they last.
Gaz.
13 years old and original from new! so thanks for that advise I think thats answered my question!

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
865 Posts
I have -60mm cmc heavy duty springs with standard shocks, rides good and really good with the weight although when unloaded they do raise up a bit. I'm on 15'' steels

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You're a sweetie for the info hun, muchas thankas ;)

Ok, so I've already (recently just had) fitted -50mm springs, and am thinking instead of changing the springs again that I could just change the spring plates to these maybe: http://www.t4srus.co.uk/vw-t4-rear-lowering-plates-t4lp-93-p.asp

I'm still using standard shocks on my '92 Caravelle- Whats ya views on this Mr? Good or bad idea??
No probs at all using the thinner plates Kate, or if you wanna get it down a bit more just remove them all together,wont hurt at all,loads of us running without them on here:D
Gaz.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts