VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, hoping you can help me out.

I have a problem with my T4 rear calipers in that the driver side rear is not engaging when i use the handbrake.

Now, i believe the piston to be seized as i fitted a new handbrake cable recently so believe that to be working. The only other thing i can think of is that maybe the mechanism on the caliper is seized that would operate when the handbrake is on.

Anyway - i am wondering if because the caliper will not engage (as opposed to binding) if i should rebuild the caliper, or replace it?

I have rebuilt motorcycle calipers in the past with good success, however i am concerned that due to the relative complexity of the calipers on the T4 that there may be multiple problems, or perhaps seized sliders causing my handbrake not to engage?

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Common problem is the caliper carriers/ slide pins being Seized, That's what my problem was so I replaced both calipers and carriers as I needed the van for work so couldn't wait on freeing up and replacing pins

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I beg to differ
If the piston has once upon a time been wrongfully backed up under force this is unfortunately a known reason for calipers to go apesh`t. U MAY sucdessfully rebuild it, no guarantee though :*

1 - 3 of 3 Posts