VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
think i bought one when i had piston seizing probs other wise i use a crowbar and block of wood.
thought the backs had to be winded back though.....fronts are easy like you said,g clamp i use.:ILU:
possible to do without the tool,just makes life a lot easier,2 mins easy in fact.:ILU:

·
sc vw customs 1.9tdi convert
17,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You do have to wind in the backs. Using this tools I find makes it alot easier all round, means less swearing when the g clamp doesn't fit properly:)
exactly mate,been doing vw brakes for years and have always been meaning to by one,took the plunge last week,and well what can i say.....makes a easy job..ver very easy..A:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
exactly mate,been doing vw brakes for years and have always been meaning to by one,took the plunge last week,and well what can i say.....makes a easy job..ver very easy..A:
Totally agree there mate-
Just did my pads & disks (front & back) yesterday- spent an hour farting about with a key for angle grinder wheel then thought Boll:*x to this- nipped down to halfrauds, handed over £18 and took SECONDS (!!!!!!!) to wind in the pistons.
Well worth the money! Universal too- plate flips over to do smaller pistons.
Also used it for the fronts, using the old pad as a block to push the piston home.

A:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just about to do mine as the backing plates are buggered....

Can any of you guys recommend a good upgrade for discs and pads, a reasonable compromise between performance, cost and lifespan?

Ta muchly!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Just about to do mine as the backing plates are buggered....

Can any of you guys recommend a good upgrade for discs and pads, a reasonable compromise between performance, cost and lifespan?

Ta muchly!
GSF do Brembo/ Mintex combo for reasonable price (s'what i got).
VW dealers doing stock OEM cheapish too.
Shop around- plenty of decent prices out there but general rule- buy cheap (ie £45 full set of disks n pads off eBay) you'll prob buy twice (as in they wont last half as long)

·
Registered
11,100 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks "T4 VIRGIN".

I'll get me one and hopefully it will be as easy as doing the front ones then ....:D

cheers

Frank

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just a tail end on this - reading up on a previous thread re pad changing - I changed the front pads on my T4 last spring and felt the brakes were a bit spongy and just didnt feel right - after a good bleed they seemed ok for a week or so then went off again - apparently if you push back the pistons by hand it can feed pressure back through the master cylinder and damage the seals - makes sense now - thats what I,ve done - by using the wind back tool it moves the pistons back slowly and doesnt do this damage - also they reckon to crack the bleed nipple when doing this

1 - 12 of 12 Posts