VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've managed to get a decent caravelle bumper off ebay for a good price but as usual it's the wrong colour. What prep can I do myself so that when I take it to the body shop to get sprayed most of the prep work is done? I know I have to sand down all the old paint, should I be aiming to remove it all back to plastic? What grade paper? any top tips?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you remove it back to the plastic you will create more hasstle than good,
Most body shops will just scuff up the old paint in 320grit,
Prime the complete bumper, flat with 600,
Paint then laquer,

Then flat and polish if nessasary.
just strip the bumper down to its parts and give it to them like that
They will prefer to prep it themselves 95% of the time,

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've just bought a painted bumper that needs to be resprayed in my vans colour. If its in good condition then it should just need a rub with a scotch pad then paint it.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you remove it back to the plastic you will create more hasstle than good,
Most body shops will just scuff up the old paint in 320grit,
Prime the complete bumper, flat with 600,
Paint then laquer,

Then flat and polish if nessasary.
just strip the bumper down to its parts and give it to them like that
They will prefer to prep it themselves 95% of the time,
Thanks for that, some parts of the old paint have already scuffed down to plastic. Maybe I'll just strip it down and leave it to the pro's like you suggest!

·
Registered
165 Posts
a word of advice though,i've been painting cars since 1977 and a mistake many painters make is not adding FLEXIBLE ADDITIVE to the primer and laquer,this is one of the main reasons (along side poor rubbing down) for paint flaking or peeling off plastic components,just read the amount of posts on this subject on the forum,the problem is,is that plastic will expand,contract,and flex so tha paint has to be able to 'give'.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I did my own bumpers. First time ive painted anything and used the plasticizer in the paint. After i finished the painting i left some mixed paint to dry in a cup and it was like a rubber ball. Painted six month's ago and still good. Amazing stuff

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've just bought a painted bumper that needs to be resprayed in my vans colour. If its in good condition then it should just need a rub with a scotch pad then paint it.
Bang on !! Use grey scotch if it going to be painted in base and lacquer , or red if your painting it in solid colour , a little flat with some 800 wet and dry won't go a miss mind , flattens down any bits of that's in the bumper . It's important that you scot h everywhere on the bumper to give it a good key for the new paint to stick too !!!

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Yep, if it's been painted already and the paint is in good condition just a good rub with a grey scotchbrite pad and a bit if soapy water/panel wipe. Wrt and dry 800 any small blemishes and paint shop can spot prime if required.

But my advice would be as it is already been painted let the bodyshop prep it, should only take them 30 minutes max. If you prep it and there are problems down the line then the body shop may blame you. Finally most body shops will want to prep it themselves to guarantee no problems with it.

Jay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts