VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a friend traveling around South America and he's looking at getting himself a van to eventually take him to Alaska, I pointed out this one to him, in Chile, clearly a Mexican made model, the price which I've worked out to equate to £1040, question is would it be worth his while bringing in back to the UK?

http://concepcion.mundoanuncio.cl/volkswagen-kombi-1982-iid-264363916

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Could pass a tip on a German T4 that is coming op for sale & is sitting in South Ameria
Will need to check details if required. Let me know;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thats one of the south american hybrid models, basically a spilt screen van with a bay window front on it! If thats the price & you can get a decent quote for shipping then you can't lose! Does it have an egine, running gear etc... Get it over! If you find anymore, especially with a splitty front end, I'd be interested too!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would it be liable to UK registration at all? How do you obtain a COC?
Me assuming U need one for the UK:*
Not sure what a COC is, we don't generally have too much trouble importing stuff here- I bought a car in Belgium once, I beleive US imports are subtly different since non-european models, fog lights, indicators, but generally nothing major. I guess the fact that its 1982 means its relatively modern and would need relevant seat belts (old classic cars are not subject to....) dunno really...

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats one of the south american hybrid models, basically a spilt screen van with a bay window front on it! If thats the price & you can get a decent quote for shipping then you can't lose! Does it have an egine, running gear etc... Get it over! If you find anymore, especially with a splitty front end, I'd be interested too!
I'm assuming from the pics its a going concern, daily driver.... and I reckon you could ship one for 2-2.5K if you drove it to a port yourself....

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
COC is Certificate of Compliance
Basically is states tha a product complies with EC regulations.
I know the UK is way more lean with registrating "exotics". Thats why any "new" T2 from Brazil hast to go though UK prior to being considered on the mainland:eek:
RoRo shipping from South America to Antwerpen or Rotterdam is your cheapest bet.
The stated shipping cost seem high:(

·
Registered
552 Posts
I've a friend traveling around South America and he's looking at getting himself a van to eventually take him to Alaska, I pointed out this one to him, in Chile, clearly a Mexican made model, the price which I've worked out to equate to £1040, question is would it be worth his while bringing in back to the UK?

http://concepcion.mundoanuncio.cl/volkswagen-kombi-1982-iid-264363916
I take it you dont like your mate much!!LOL:

those things are proper gash ,they rot worse than a bay the steel quality is abysmal and are normally so bad they collapse in the middle.:eek:

i would point him in the direction of an old merc as in most of those countries they are still knocking about very robust and easy to repair for the local chaps with good parts availabilty plus a heater, which he will deffo need in alaska

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I take it you dont like your mate much!!LOL:

those things are proper gash, they rot worse than a bay the steel quality is abysmal and are normally so bad they collapse in the middle.:eek:
or a T4, but he reckons its quite pricey as countries go - so what do Danbury base their new campers on if not south american models? (incidentally I saw an '07 model danbury rusting on the rear arches...)

·
Registered
552 Posts
or a T4, but he reckons its quite pricey as countries go - so what do Danbury base their new campers on if not south american models? (incidentally I saw an '07 model danbury rusting on the rear arches...)
danburys are based on a new brazillian bay,have been round their factory too!!

that van is a south american market only, thing made up of pig iron!!

my mate "restored" one. the build qualityis frankly awful

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well he's only gone and done it, bought a T2c late Brazilian kombi... in Chile, he plans to drive it to Alaska!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Had a Bay...miss him badly but he was full of rust...amazed it got thro 8 MoT's LOL:LOL:LOL:

That looks very clean on the inside....cud be a good purchase as long as the motors etc's ok.....I:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts