VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you are a wakeboarder you might appreciate this photos.

This is Nick Davies (the world champion), standing with my board and T4... the Born Extreme van

He is well sound. We were at a psycho freak tour that O'Neill had set up at MK Wake and hyperlite arranged for Nick to be there.

The dude is really sound and amazing to watch in the flesh. He just seems to hover on the water!!!

I got him to sign my board (which is his signature board) the hyperlite clash and he was happy to pose for a few pics.

his words when he saw my van "thats a sick van dude!" :ILU:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thats cool.... lost touch with wakeboarding a bit, but remember sitting in the boat watching Murray, Parks etc for the first time, amazing to see! :ILU:
Lets hope his knees last! I:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
who!!!!!! nice van though lol:
longboarding now thats extreme te he
who!!!!! wash your mouth out! lol.

not bad for a 19 year old British lad. 2 thing us brits are good at, wakeboarding (Nick Davies world champion) and kitesurfing (Aaron Hadlow, 5 time world champion)

Why don't we stick to what we are good at and stop pretending we can play football LOL:

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
I am well out of touch with wakeboarding.
I used to compete on ski's against the Heaney Boys and the Crowhursts. I used to train up at Kielder Dam with Nik and Jules, and remember trying all sorts of silly sh** whenever the weather was bad.
Those guys were proper nuts. Good times sadly missed.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul you should get back into it. Nik was back on the water last week. (wearing a knee support) he looked pretty good. :ILU:

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
Not seen him probably ten years or more.
Remember freezing my ass off in his shed in the middle of winter around a tiny gas heater.

I still get back on a board every year or so, just to make sure i can still flip.lol

Normally up north though, Pine lake the last time. Another of my old training locations. Do you know Dave Knight? was wake skating more last time i saw him. But he loads the boat up everytime i go back just for a laugh.
cheers

P

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hey there

just started kitesurfing and was really looking to maybe go wakeboarding to get some practice in as i just cant get on the board, too many things to think about at once i think!!...where do you go? there arent that many places around lincoln, however there is one in skegness....

ps nice pic

:ILU:

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
hey there

just started kitesurfing and was really looking to maybe go wakeboarding to get some practice in as i just cant get on the board, too many things to think about at once i think!!...where do you go? there arent that many places around lincoln, however there is one in skegness....

ps nice pic

How's it going? I think I remember you saying about having your first kiting lesson, was it cold in the end??!! It's frustrating as hell isn't it, you get the hang of flying the thing then you have to try and stand on a not very floaty bit of wood H:

I've just cracked it the last few weeks and am loving it now :D:D Keep perservering and you'll get there in the end! I found punching the water and swearing helps lots!! :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hey phil...

yeah i went at the weekend, managed a two second ride on the board and it plled me over the front and i wiped out big style!! the sea was actually quite nice at Brancaster.

need to keep going tho! my friend said wakeboarding might help.:)

·
Registered
652 Posts
I trained with the old heaneys... and Cathy Williams in FL. Used to enjoy it... but it really is only a mater of time before... well you know I: (I hate to wish injury on anyone)

T4 girl you should swing by Poole harbour if your into Kiteboarding... great place to learn ;)

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
hey phil...

yeah i went at the weekend, managed a two second ride on the board and it plled me over the front and i wiped out big style!! the sea was actually quite nice at Brancaster.

need to keep going tho! my friend said wakeboarding might help.:)

Ah, I thought I read something ages ago about you going in the winter??

If it's only your first weekend don't be suprised that you only got a 2 second ride, that's good going! It took me a good few sessions to be able to consistently get up and ride. You just have to get out there and keep perservering and putting up with the superman impressions over the board, you'll crack it in the end then once you start to get it it should come quickly :)

Have you found kiteboarder.co.uk forum?

The problem I see with wakeboarding is that it's all in the arms. One of the worst things you can do boardstarting with a kite is to pull yourself up with your arms rather than letting the harness do the work, wakeboarding will train you perfectly to pull yourself up with you arms....

Good luck, and enjoy!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
The problem I see with wakeboarding is that it's all in the arms. One of the worst things you can do boardstarting with a kite is to pull yourself up with your arms rather than letting the harness do the work, wakeboarding will train you perfectly to pull yourself up with you arms....

Good luck, and enjoy!!
Nothing to do with the arms at all.... you'd have the same problem if you pulled wakeboarding... let the boat do the work...
I used to do all sorts of rolls/inverts etc wakeboarding, and to be honest kiteboarding looks easier (more time in the air) BUT you do have a kite to control I:

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Nothing to do with the arms at all.... you'd have the same problem if you pulled wakeboarding... let the boat do the work...
I used to do all sorts of rolls/inverts etc wakeboarding, and to be honest kiteboarding looks easier (more time in the air) BUT you do have a kite to control I:
Yes you let the boat do the work, but you hold on with your arms.

Kiting you are attached with a harness and pulled from the waist. The natural thing when learning is to hold on tight, but you actually only want to pull in enough to have enough power in the kite to pull you up, otherwise you'll probably do superman impressions and slam the kite in the sea :D

I might be wrong and I know a lot of people do both, using the cable tow for kiteboarding practice, I just always thought that it would teach you bad habits.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The physics are the same... with wakeboarding you want to be pulled from the waist too, the lower the handle, the higher the airs. You rotate around the the waist and don't 'pull' with the arms. (maybe a little to get some slack for rotational tricks)

It is a kite cable tow... the harness just makes it easier/harder depending what your used to!

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
Saw on TV the Heaneys had moved to Florida. I never trained with them for a few years before that. I went out to Florida with a few different groups taining, but that was always water skiing. I miss those days.
Forum wakeboard weekend? Who has a boat and a lake....I:

·
Registered
285 Posts
if you are a wakeboarder you might appreciate this photos.

This is Nick Davies (the world champion), standing with my board and T4... the Born Extreme van

He is well sound. We were at a psycho freak tour that O'Neill had set up at MK Wake and hyperlite arranged for Nick to be there.

The dude is really sound and amazing to watch in the flesh. He just seems to hover on the water!!!

I got him to sign my board (which is his signature board) the hyperlite clash and he was happy to pose for a few pics.

his words when he saw my van "thats a sick van dude!" :ILU:

Van is looking sick man.

Its Ricky here, met you up at Will's a while ago. I ride at Grendon Lakes. Rich said you popped in recently to say hello. Hows things?

I totally agree about Nick D. Saw him at Wakestock. He totally blew everyone else away. No one came close to beating him Truely amazing wakeboarder.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Saw on TV the Heaneys had moved to Florida. I never trained with them for a few years before that. I went out to Florida with a few different groups taining, but that was always water skiing. I miss those days.
Forum wakeboard weekend? Who has a boat and a lake....I:
This is a great idea. I ride at a small club lake in Northampton. The place is very chilled out and friendly. It would be a great venue for this great idea.

Is anybody else interested in this.

Ricky

1 - 20 of 53 Posts