VW T4 Forum - VW T5 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey guys.

I wakeboard and kitesurf and love both but wakeboarding edges it a little. There is so many places to do it without having to travel to the coast and be governed by the weather. Grendon Lakes is a great place to go! if you fancy trying a cable tow the lads at nottingham cable (NWSC) are great too. We are currently have a 49ft by 4ft roof top built there. It will be the 1st of its kind in the country.

wakeboarding will defo help your kitesurfing T4girl. Its really good for board control.

Hey Ricky, yeah i remember dude. I'll pop over to grendon again soon to see you guys. Would like to meet up with Rich and you guys. Get my mobile number off Will and let me know whens a good time to come down. You there on thursdays?

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
Hey guys.

I wakeboard and kitesurf and love both but wakeboarding edges it a little. There is so many places to do it without having to travel to the coast and be governed by the weather. Grendon Lakes is a great place to go! if you fancy trying a cable tow the lads at nottingham cable (NWSC) are great too. We are currently have a 49ft by 4ft roof top built there. It will be the 1st of its kind in the country.

wakeboarding will defo help your kitesurfing T4girl. Its really good for board control.

Hey Ricky, yeah i remember dude. I'll pop over to grendon again soon to see you guys. Would like to meet up with Rich and you guys. Get my mobile number off Will and let me know whens a good time to come down. You there on thursdays?
Looking forward to NWSC tomorrow dude, bit early though :(

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
i'd loved to have come with you but got loads to do this weekend. i'm going tuesday night if you are up for it. I'm dropping off a load of t's and hoodies i have had made for the dude who work down there. i'll have a little play while i'm down there. Want to test out my new bindings.

Have fun! :ILU:

·
Registered
281 Posts
:D you all keep to your inland lakes. I know two windsurfers nearly killed last year by danglies/tea-baggers. And kite surfers are all getting board sports banned/restricted on the north coast beaches due to the impossibility of total control on waves.
Please if you do kite surf then realise that there are other water users especially in the summer, and dont ruin it for other water sports enthusiasts.
Sorry for the rant, but there are several who seem to have got all board sports on water classified now as boat users!
http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/new...RDS-SHIPS/article-1184410-detail/article.html

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
blah blah blah. why do wind surfers have to be so anti kite surfers? is it cos kite surfing looks sooo much cool!! LOL:

no offense wind surfers. it just frustrates me. we all just want to enjoy our chosen sports. wind surfing just doesn't do it for me so i kitesurf. Kitesurfing is now officially the fastest growing sport in the world. we just need to all get along and be safe.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
:D you all keep to your inland lakes. I know two windsurfers nearly killed last year by danglies/tea-baggers. And kite surfers are all getting board sports banned/restricted on the north coast beaches due to the impossibility of total control on waves.
Please if you do kite surf then realise that there are other water users especially in the summer, and dont ruin it for other water sports enthusiasts.
Sorry for the rant, but there are several who seem to have got all board sports on water classified now as boat users!
http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/new...RDS-SHIPS/article-1184410-detail/article.html
I know there are kiters who are cocks and when things go wrong on a kite it's worse than a windsurfer, but how were they 'nearly killed?'

·
Registered
652 Posts
I know there are kiters who are cocks and when things go wrong on a kite it's worse than a windsurfer, but how were they 'nearly killed?'
LOL:
We have great fun watching out of control kiters break their legs, get caught in trees and get dragged in front of moving traffic down here....

I think the locals blame weekend visitors from London.... ;)

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
LOL:
We have great fun watching out of control kiters break their legs, get caught in trees and get dragged in front of moving traffic down here....

I think the locals blame weekend visitors from London.... ;)
Are you talking about Poole harbour by any chance? It's well known for that!

It's often the ebay numpty's who buy up old gear and 'have a go' in too strong wind for their gear. It gets us repsonsible peeps a bad name :(

Luckily at my local beach there's not much of it, it's usually the same crowd down there all the time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Are you talking about Poole harbour by any chance? It's well known for that!

It's often the ebay numpty's who buy up old gear and 'have a go' in too strong wind for their gear. It gets us repsonsible peeps a bad name :(

Luckily at my local beach there's not much of it, it's usually the same crowd down there all the time.
I agree with you there. There is far to much of that!

·
Registered
281 Posts
One was nearly dragged under moorings while tangled with the kite and kit around the sailing club to the left of the usual launch area. Another was knocked out cold after a catapult when a kite dumped straight in front.

The problem with kite surfing (and i have no problems with anyone disciplined and knows the rules of the water - starboard tack etc... windward priorities and all the rest on the waves) is that it is very easy to get going and learn the basics.

Too many people try it, get cocky, and end up hurting passers by, children, etc! It has caused the new owners of gwithian beach to ban it where the best waves are and also include windsurfing bans. Never an accident caused by a windsurfer to another water user there, but many by kites.

I know a lot of good kiters and realise everyone needs to learn, and personally think that the instructors are irresponsible if they dont teach the rules of the water. Maybe there are just too many idiots on portland harbour compared to other places due to it being a safe learning area.

A kite goes down and it ruins the run for everyone else on that particular tack, a windsurfer goes down and no problems for anyone!

·
Registered
5,822 Posts
I have been wakeboarding once mate i wont bite just yet Rasp: been kayaking loads though and never had a problem with wakeboarders:ILU:

Had loads of problems with skiers when snowboarding though:eek:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Not seen him probably ten years or more.
Remember freezing my ass off in his shed in the middle of winter around a tiny gas heater.

I still get back on a board every year or so, just to make sure i can still flip.lol

Normally up north though, Pine lake the last time. Another of my old training locations. Do you know Dave Knight? was wake skating more last time i saw him. But he loads the boat up everytime i go back just for a laugh.
cheers

P
I used to live in Morpeth and occasionally went to ride up at Kielder. Rough and ready set up, but loads of Fun. I also met Dave Knight the other week. H was camping at Grendon with family and some friends. You're right, he is doing more skating these days. Knackered knees I would imagine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Grendon Lakes in Northampton are having a "Wakeboard Weekender" on 21st - 23 August.

This is basically a relaxed weekend of Wakeboarding, Music, Camping, and I would assume some drinking.

I don't know many details as yet as I have nothing to do with the organising of it. However I will find some out and put them on here if anyone is interested.

It is a great place to ride. We have a Super Air Nautique 210. And a Mastecraft X2. (not the new shape tho).

·
Banned
1,450 Posts
I used to live in Morpeth and occasionally went to ride up at Kielder. Rough and ready set up, but loads of Fun. I also met Dave Knight the other week. H was camping at Grendon with family and some friends. You're right, he is doing more skating these days. Knackered knees I would imagine.
When i said skatin i meant the wake skating. But yea, know him his brother and his dad very well, used to be up there 3/4 times a week. Hell i even had Wed mornings off school for it.

Kielder was a very rough set up, couple of timber sheds and old boats, but i had some great fun up there. Usually when it wasnt actually fit to ride. I remeber just hanging onto the back of the boat and body surfing flat out. Trying Ralieighs when i could get up, then just let go at full height and crash out.

Definately miss the sport, just dont have the money to do it, and im now to old to be any good at it.

Thanks for the fond memories though

P:ILU:

21 - 40 of 53 Posts